Question About Eggs I Received Today

angelbabyamy

Songster
11 Years
Feb 18, 2011
Myrtle Point, OR
I bought some eggs online and have am wondering if it is nomal for them to have beads of sticky moisture on them. I know eggs will sweat, but it feels sticky. I don't notice any cracks. They were all wrapped individually in bubble wrap. It took them 4 days to get here.
Are the eggs ruined?
Thanks!

Quote:
does the sticky moisture have a color? is it tinted? can you tell? is the box wet?

my guess is one, or more, of the eggs is/are broken. or they were around a broken egg. or maybe something was spilled on them?

and, no, it is not normal.

No, it doesn't have color. 3 eggs are like that. I didn't notice any wetness anywhere else- each egg was individually bubble wrapped and taped. The seller was very careful. It looks like an egg that is sweating, but it feels sticky. There were small moisture droplets on them. I hope they are okay. They are Lavender Orpington eggs.

I've heard that weeping eggs mean bacterial contamination and I pitched the hatching egg I got that wept. I would notify the seller, send them pics, and, frankly, would expect them to be replaced. Maybe that's unrealistic though. Were there extras that would cover replacing the 3?

ETA: They can contaminate the other eggs, especially if they explode (I was told this was a possibility). I would throw them before I would risk my whole hatch.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's called weeping, and I'd not dare to incubate them, as they'll blow up shortly. Message your seller, as this may have happened by an accidental shipping of older eggs.

Alternatively, you could still incubate them, but set them away from the other eggs, if you have room, or wrap each loosely in a tissue and do a sniff check DAILY.

If you smell anything odd, toss the offender immediately, and carefully, as they burst with force and blow gory contents amuck.

Thanks,I don't want to contaminate the others, but I did touch them all and put them in an egg carton to settle. I only received 1 extra egg. I have hatched out chicks and ducks and have never had any explode before. I usually don't buy shipped eggs, but want the Lavender Orpingtons.
The last shipped eggs I bought were Marans. Received no extras and one was dented. I also found a local breeder. Shipped eggs- 2 out of 11 eggs hatched. Local eggs- 8 out of 12 hatched.

If you have any betadine (povidone Iodine) you can mix up a solution the color of dark iced tea and mist them to kill external bacteria.

This should help, but generally if they're weeping, the hermetically sealed aspect is long gone. Just make certain to do a sniff test daily.

Back
Top Bottom