Question about eggs taste

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bee_wrangler, Sep 16, 2009.

1. bee_wrangler

bee_wrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    I am just wondering if different types of chickens lay eggs that taste different? I like brown eggs better than white eggs becouse the yolk seems darker and has more flavor. I have also wondered why duck, goose and turkey eggs are not often eaten, is it due to taste? As I ponder at what second breed of chickens I would like to raise (I have 3 Silkies right now) this is something that came to mind.

2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I guess it depends on the individual. I, personally, can't tell any difference in chicken eggs, but I have 2 people who swear that my Welsummer's eggs taste "creamier".

I like goose and duck eggs but some people find them stronger than chicken eggs, so, again, guess it depends on the individual!

3. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    My chickens have not started laying yet so I buy local eggs when I can and store eggs the rest of the time. The local eggs are from a mixed flock and I have never noticed a difference.

I agree that duck and goose eggs have a stronger taste. 5 lady campbells are giving me 4-5 eggs a day and I have just started eating them and I find them stronger and chewier as well. They are awesome in baked goods though.

4. rapunzil

rapunzil Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2009
    Kendall Park, NJ
    When I was little we had chickens, ducks and geese. All of them layed and all eggs were consumed by our family.

The duck and goose eggs definitely have a stronger flavor, and they also smell different than chicken eggs when they are being cooked. For this reason, I wouldn't eat them. My Dad however, absolutely loved the duck and goose eggs.

But yes, in baked goods duck and goose eggs are fabulous! My mother would use duck eggs in that cheap Jiffy muffin mix and they would rise incredibly tall! Those I would always eat and they were deee-lish!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by