Question about eggs under the hen

Liz, you will want to move her at night and not during the day. If possible, move the nest material with her into a new location away from the other hens and isolated so that the other hens cannot get in the nest with her.
If you move her at night she will stay on the nest the next day. If you move her during the day she will try to go back to her original nest area. Just a few pointers about broodies.
Also, should you choose to break a broody you can put her in a wired floor cage or brooder with no place to make a nest, and she will stop. When they start wearing maternity clothes and nesting, they can be pretty determined. The wire floor breaks their mood.

lau.gif
I refuse to buy maternity clothes LOL

I do have an empty 6 ft. cage , that I feel might be ideal for the broody and the nest with eggs . WHAT DO YOU THINK ?

I had one broody hen ( that at the time we had our pullets that were small ( like 5 to 6 weeks old ) that was in a cage . and this ONE HEN was loose ... Well , she use to JUMP on top of this 6 ft. cage and LAY down on the corner of that cage and refused to be moved ... We would put her food and water on top of the cage . NOW that was determined . She finally came OUT of the broody stage about 3 weeks later .

BUT this has NOW been about 2 1/2 months and she has NOT starting laying again YET . Maybe it was a combination of broody and moulting . She has recently started getting her COMB AND WATTLES back and getting red , so just maybe she won't be to long in laying again. IF NOT , she will be DUNKED in a LARGE GUMBO POT .
lau.gif
lau.gif
ep.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom