Question about Electrifying a Coop

maudeflanagan

Chirping
Sep 5, 2021
SE Michigan
So I had a thought and I’m not sure if this has been done before. Winter is coming and having power in the coop will likely be a must. I plan to run an extension cord out to the coop mainly for a deicer. Maybe an overhead light so I can see when daylight is an issue. The plan is to run Romex to an outlet and the light.

Is there a way to wire up the coop and backfeed power from the extension cord? Similar to an RV and shore power or an automatic transfer switch like a generator? Then in the spring, I could wind up the extension cord and put it away. The extension cord is a heavy duty exterior contractor grade.

Is this a terrible idea?

Installing an outdoor male plug would allow you to run your romex to the plug and light and just unplug the extension cord when ready.

Attachments

• 51lLjUIOdAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    51lLjUIOdAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 6
The male out door receptacle is probably the cleanest way to accomplish what you want to do. I just ran the romex out the bottom of the coop and put a Male plug on the wire so I can plug it into a extension code. I am planning to bury a wire to the coop in the future but looks like that is a next year project

1634091849442.png

Back
Top Bottom