Question about Emu Fence

I like the idea of some ‘standing-threads’ on various topics – like fencing.

Is it right to suggest that a fence that will hold emus may well not hold ostriches? Is the equation: one foot of fence for each foot of bird?

Could we also talk about what is within the pens? that is, the birds’ environment? planting various species of grass for birds to graze on? providing shrubs? Could creepers be used to disguise the fences?

Find photos of the pens of Casuarius and the Sheriff. Both are exemplary. Check ‘youtube crazy emu dance.’

These are happy birds.

Supreme Emu

Yeah that would be nice to work on some stickys, with "best practices" for keeping ratites.

Back to the subject of fences, I've been researching all week and there seems to be only ONE kind of 8 foot (or taller) fence with 3 inch stays, and that's made by bekaert. All other woven wire game fences seem to have 6 inch or larger vertical stays, meaning basically anything can crawl through it and therefore really limits what I could do with it. I.E. would be useless to ever try and let the birds hatch and raise their own young as they can just crawl out or things as large as bobcat/coyote can crawl right in.

So much metal in this fence its only sold in 165 foot rolls, yet costs as much as 330' foot rolls. I do like the idea of using this kind of fence for the perimeter only, I could then subdivide the interior with much shorter and weaker fence.

If anyone knows of woven high tensile game fence with the 3 inch vertical stays other then the product bekaert makes, please let me know.

There is also a horse fence that comes in 5'1"" height but people have said in this thread that a emu or ostrich can jump a five foot fence if it really wants to? And besides I was "told" ostrich require six foot min. by law.

Really seems there is only one choice for me then, and its an expensive one.

Nicophorus,

you are doing the right thing in such patient research.

Think about the forward-articulating nature of a ratite’s legs.

Emus are adept at clearing low fences; and in a panic, they can – they do – run at the fence, and sort of ‘run up it.’

When you look at it from this perspective, a five-foot fence for a six-foot bird (or similar for an ostrich) suddenly becomes clearly inadequate; and the BYC folk who advocate these higher fences are those who have watched panicked emus (and cassowaries) pull this stunt.

S.E.

Last edited:

Thought i'd post an update on the pen I ended up building for my Emus. Might be overkill for Emus at six feet, but I wanted to have the option to maybe one day place other things in it that might need more secure fencing.

Its five foot high stretched horse wire (three inch wide spacing) with a few strands of smooth wire at the top to give it a bit more height. The Emus seem to be enjoying their new pen, its about one acre and filled with a mix if mature Florida native trees and young fruit/nut trees I planted in there a few years ago. Very close to the house because I like interacting with them a lot.

Last edited:
For those of us that have predator problems - I will post pic's my fence that I finished modifying over the July 4th break - No-step horse fence with electric predator protection. (had an attack two weeks ago- lost 12 birds)

My property is circled by deep woods and I have had issues with fisher cats - foxes- coyotes.
What I have is 48' no-step horse fence with the wooden posts on the outside - the problem was that animals could climb up the outside posts. On the outside 8" up from the ground I added a hot strand of galvanized wire - 48' up 2nd strand hot - top of post 3rd strand ground wire - vertical on the post (adding 4 more inches) 4th strand hot wire.
Now the fence is a little over 5 feet with predator protection on the outside and top. It's not perfect, but I am hoping this stops the predators.

Last edited:
lost 6 Emu chicks and 6 Muscovy ducks - Last week of June we had a visit from one or more hungry preditors - they killed and ate 6 (8) week old Emu chicks and 6 (4) month old Muscovy ducks. We have not had a predador attack in all most two years and the 1st time we have lost birds since getting our geese and installing the horse fence. I am hoping that with the addition of the electric fence along with the 2x4" spacing on the horse fence - we can keep most ground based predators out of our pasture. After the attack I walked the fence line looking for where they got in and could find no trace - so I think they went up and over. Everytime we have an issue, we try to learn from it and move forward. (took a week vacation and made the fence mod's I was so upset) We still have two Emu's a boy and girl and my muscovy's are hatching.

Last edited:
Grassman so sad to hear this news....really sickening. Could you get a Llama, they will deal with any preditors on ground.
I have just one now , 5 yr old girl, and she is the best guard, would even deal with 2 legged folk ,lol specially at night.
Good thing you have some more Muscovies hatching...and a pair of Emus, but this poor Emu chicks can never been replaced.
Calla

Back
Top Bottom