Fencing for emus… is welded wire sufficient?

guineachickendad

Chirping
May 11, 2022
I don’t have an emu but I’m entertaining the idea because I want one
I have 1/4 acre area I can use. Two sides are wooden fences, the other sides will be welded wire (like for cattle) either 4 or 5 feet tall. The wooden side is 8ft.
There are chickens and guineas in this area. About 40 of them, but they also have a coops/runs if they don’t get along.
Will welded wire be sufficient? I would tame it as well, I love taming birds.
I know I have a lot more research to do, I’m taking my time on this

the material is fine, just NO barbed wire, its the height that is an issue. My emu were jumping 4' and 5' fencing at 6 months old. Theyve since grown more. Its typically advised to have at LEAST 6' fencing

also... 1/4 acre is small for emu. They really do need at least an acre, if not more, to be able to fully run and stretch their legs on. They are fast, and they love running around. They really need a long stretch to get going, idk that could happen on just 1/4 acre. Ours have 4 acres, and they use ALL of that acreage.

We keep ours with guinea, chickens, turkey, geese, ducks....but the emu really should be raised with whatever theyll be kept near. If the animal is unknown, or scares the emu, they will stomp and potentially kill. This can and has been an issue for many people, when they introduce emu to new animals on the farm/ or when emu have been "poorly socialized" to other animals on the farm. It can be a lot of work to properly socialize emu to new/different animals.
Good luck in your research :thumbsup

the material is fine, just NO barbed wire, its the height that is an issue. My emu were jumping 4' and 5' fencing at 6 months old. Theyve since grown more. Its typically advised to have at LEAST 6' fencing

also... 1/4 acre is small for emu. They really do need at least an acre, if not more, to be able to fully run and stretch their legs on. They are fast, and they love running around. They really need a long stretch to get going, idk that could happen on just 1/4 acre. Ours have 4 acres, and they use ALL of that acreage.

We keep ours with guinea, chickens, turkey, geese, ducks....but the emu really should be raised with whatever theyll be kept near. If the animal is unknown, or scares the emu, they will stomp and potentially kill. This can and has been an issue for many people, when they introduce emu to new animals on the farm/ or when emu have been "poorly socialized" to other animals on the farm. It can be a lot of work to properly socialize emu to new/different animals.
Good luck in your research :thumbsup
It’s 10,000 square feet, other sources say they only need 1000 sq ft. I would be interested in only keeping one, two maximum. We have 3 acres total but that’s the only area that will be fenced. I haven’t put the welded wire fence up yet as I want to be sure it will hold an emu if I do decide to get one, don’t want to do it twice. Eventually we’ll have a whole acre fenced in. It will be heavily handled and socialized. I wasn’t sure if taming it would allow me to get away with a shorter fence but I guess not 😩 thank you for all the info!

' I wasn’t sure if taming it would allow me to get away with a shorter fence'

Morning, guineachicken. Emus have a pretty simple 'on-board computer.' So, okay, a really tame bird will be less spooked by . . . stuff; but the run-ins that emus have with fences come when something spooks them good and proper, and the computer switches to Blind Panic.
They'll run full tilt at fences, and sorta -- I'm not making this up -- 'breast surf' up and over them. Remember, their legs articulate forward. They hit the fence at chest height; they get a good swipe down with their legs, and . . . over they go!!

For a panicked six-foot bird moving at speed, a five-foot fence is apparently not enough to stop them.

Supreme Emu

[The young female here is 'foomphing' in the early hours. She can do a string of about fifteen foomphs, which is really good.]

Last edited:
It’s 10,000 square feet, other sources say they only need 1000 sq ft. I would be interested in only keeping one, two maximum. We have 3 acres total but that’s the only area that will be fenced. I haven’t put the welded wire fence up yet as I want to be sure it will hold an emu if I do decide to get one, don’t want to do it twice. Eventually we’ll have a whole acre fenced in. It will be heavily handled and socialized. I wasn’t sure if taming it would allow me to get away with a shorter fence but I guess not 😩 thank you for all the info!
ok, i see what youre saying. the fenced pen they will be in is the 1/4 acre. If they had access to the rest of the acreage, id say thats enough for sure. Keep in mind when theyre little tiny they dont need that much acreage yet, its more for older emus to be able to run. So youd have time to fence the rest.
Most emu owners and breeders wont recommend keeping just one emu. :) They are very flock minded, and do best with a companion, at a minimum. They will get lonely, even if kept with other birds. Ours love being around the main flocks and will follow our geese and chickens around throughout the day, but its not the same :(
When we speak to our customers about emus, and they express interest in owning some for their cow pasture, we always recommend 3 :wee:wee:wee
It isnt just about companionship, although thats a big part. Its about safety in numbers. Emus can, and do, get picked off when they are by themselves, or have no other emu support. Theyre called a mob for a reason, they mob together to defend against dingos and other canine predators in the australian outback. They can be great canine defense IF you have a mob. The more the merrier!
hope that helps :highfive:

I don’t have an emu but I’m entertaining the idea because I want one
I have 1/4 acre area I can use. Two sides are wooden fences, the other sides will be welded wire (like for cattle) either 4 or 5 feet tall. The wooden side is 8ft.
There are chickens and guineas in this area. About 40 of them, but they also have a coops/runs if they don’t get along.
Will welded wire be sufficient? I would tame it as well, I love taming birds.
I know I have a lot more research to do, I’m taking my time on this
You should have at least a 6ft tall fence but 8ft is better.

I'm also planning some emu fencing. How important is the no climb (2" spacing) fence? Would a 12" stay spacing, 8' tall deer fence work? I'm also looking to fence out deer which are taking over my property. I've heard that the wider stay wire spacing could be a head trap for the bird. Would it be less of a concern if the spacing were wider?

Alternatively, how about 5 ft tall woven wire plus several strands of high tensile wire above it?

I'll let others advice on the fence. But note that the ground must be absolutely clear of nails and bits of glass, as emus love to eat shiny things.
sigh

SE

Back
Top Bottom