Question about Eprinex pour on for cattle dosage

cicene mete

Songster
11 Years
Jun 19, 2008
It's time for my chickens to have their annual worming (especially because one pullet is behaving a little oddly). I thought about using Eprinex instead of ivermectin because of the egg withdrawal time. Have any of you ever used Eprinex, and do you think the dosage would be the same?

Last year, when I used ivermectin pour-on, I went by threehorses's dosage guide:
1 drop for a small or OEGB sized bantam.
2 drops for a large OEGB, small but not "micro" bantam.
3 drops for a regular bantam hen.
4 drops for an average hen or smaller large fowl rooster.
5 drops for the average large fowl
6 drops for a larger large fowl
7 drops for giant breed

Thanks!!

Eprinex pour on is thicker than the regular ivermectin pour on. I wormed mine last week with epinex; dosage is one half cc for standards, one quarter cc for small chickens. It's great not to have to toss eggs lol.

I used a syringe (without needle) and squirted 0.5 ml on each LF chicken's neck; they are not huge or giants, just plain large fowl. The syringe makes it easy both to measure the medicine and get it onto actual skin (where it can be absorbed) and not feathers.

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you. That's a big help. Another question, if you don't mind. How long does it keep on the shelf? Does it go bad or began to lose its effectiveness after a certain period of time?

It has the expiration date on the bottle. Edited- mine says it expires 04/2013. I wouldnt use it after it expired. Personally, I'd buy another bottle.

Last edited:
I see your point SMILES. So it is okay for both hens and roosters the same amount? He's a couple of lbs. heavier that is why I asked. What if I gave him .6 instead of .5? Guess I shouldn't fool around with it, and go with the .5 recommened right? All my other birds are Barred Rock, N.H. Reds.

I just don't want it to be ineffective on my rooster...

Last edited:
Quote:
It depends how often you might think they have a worm problem. Observe for signs of worms in your chickens; Check their poop, lethargic, slacked off eating ,drinking and laying. It depends on your weather as well, soil conditions. Warm moist soil is condusive for worms. If you live in a place that has that type of soil and rains often, you might consider a worming program...maybe semi annually or quarterly. It's all up to you. BTW, You might want to buy different wormers instead of using eprinex all the time. Worms can build immunity agianst one wormer over a period of time, so it's best to rotate wormers. Next time try using Safeguard paste, an eqine wormer and it's not expensive. For the eprinex dosages, stick to what was recommended; 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller chickens. If you have a very large chicken, bump it up to 3/4cc.

Back
Top Bottom