Question about feed prices

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kezzie, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    Hi, all!

I'm ordering my first feed for the babies I have coming in a week and a half. All they have in stock right now is the medicated Purina Start & Grow. I'll eventually want to switch over to non-medicated but I"ll have to pre-order that.

The cost is $7.99 for a 25 lb bag. Does that seem like a reasonable price? I hate overpaying but I like being able to get the food right here on the island.

Thanks!

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I do not use that type feed, nor have I ever priced it, but that seems very high. I buy a medicated feed that my feed mill mixes. It is $8.50 for a 50lb bag. If you have a local feed mill, see if they have a feed that they mix. I'm sure it will be cheaper.

Hope this helps.

3. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I pay $11 for 50# nonmedicated. I'd say with special order and smaller bags your price is reasonable.

4. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    I also like feed mills rather than stores.I just bought 2 bags of starter/grower at my mill for $7.50 per 50lbs. bag(unmedicated)

The paper bag stuff(like dog food comes in) is very exspensive,but it sounds for many that's their only option. Will

5. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Oh my Goodness. I wanna live where y'all do. I get a 10lb bag for $8.50

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:The local feed store where I am at charges 13.99 for a 50# bag. I do not have any mills around so I have to buy at the feed store. I only buy 2 bags of medicated then I switch to non.

7. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Quote:Look around...you can

That sounds about right for Purina in a 25 lb. bag. "On an island" I take it to mean most of your over price is due to shipping? You could do better probably on cost "off the island" but how much would that cost you? Does that make the price seem more reasonable?

I don't use Purina myself...I think it is overpriced...but I have choices and use Evergreen feeds...might see if you have other dealers near you.

8. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    I always feed the first 50# medicated feed. Mill around here is $10.50 per 50#. After that I switch to a grower feed.

9. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Eww. I think I should maybe start driving the extra 10 miles to the feed store, I'm paying $18/50lbs at TSC. [​IMG]

10. Yontz710

Yontz710 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    We are able to use our own corn and have the feed mill mix a batch of feed. order 250# Dec. 23 for my 12 girls (smallest batch they make) and just now got the second batch. We keep it dry so it stays fresh and since we use our own corn, it is only $21 a batch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by