question about feed

orlandoluv1

Songster
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
spring valley , CA
i went to a feed store today and asked the guy to help me get starter feed for when my chics hatch. he gave me a big bag of it and told me that was all i would need for the first 6 months of the chics life. for some reason that doesnt sound righ tto me. i have read about giving them some kind of mash and something like grit or soemthing like that. can anyone help becasue i dont think the guys at the store knew what he was talking about.

Quote:
Stevie, if you are using until they lay, you are looking at 5-6 months which is going to be about 20-24 weeks, so maybe the guy at the feedstore is thinking along the same lines as you are.

Actually, that is all you will need until they start laying eggs! If you give them anything other than that say as a treat like scratch, they will need grit in order to digest it. The pullets should lay somewhere in the vicinity of 18 wks. old, so he was right as long as you don't give them treats. Most of us give our chickens treats, so you may want to pick up a bag of chicken grits or parakeet gravel (which is smaller and easier for young chicks to eat). If you do offer treats, it's best to do it in moderation and late afternoon to be certain they are mainly getting the proper diet as their main source of food. Hope this helps. Enjoy your chicks!
big_smile.png

yea that is what he gave me. but i also have heard about giving them something called a mash where you can even give them hard boiled eggs does anyone know if this is good or is the start and grow fine alone.

k thanks sounds good sorry if i sound like i dont know what im doing but in allr eality i really just want to givethem the best i can. thanks so much for everyones help

hahaha thats cute well thanks a lot im so glad i found this site. up until then i was kinda on my own and now i feel like i actually have people who understand my excitment when i say i cant wait for the new babies to be here!

* Mash, I think, is just starter mixed with hot water. You have to make it fresh each time and you cannot leave it but you take it out as soon as the kids are done. . .It spoils, ferments, and molds VERY QUICKLY and that could make the chickees sick or kill them even.

Back
Top Bottom