Question about Feeders and Waterers

PicketFarmer

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2020
Hello! I'm new to posting here, but I've been lurking for months since getting chicks for my first flock. Those chicks (10 pullets, one cockerel) are now 8 weeks old, and I've been considering moving them to a big-girl feeder and waterer, but I wanted to ask a couple of questions here, first.

First, about the feeder: after a lot of research, I've decided that the treadle feeder is the best option for my flock, but I have one concern. I've noticed that, since they were very young, all 11 chicks tend to gather around the hanging feeder in a circle to eat together. Even the largest treadle feeder only feeds 3-4 chickens at a time, so will I need to worry about crowding or injury as they learn to use it? Or will the pecking order work itself out, and they simply don't bother eating in turns out of the hanging feeder because there's plenty of room for them (for now)?

Next, about the waterer I should upgrade to. I have been looking at getting either nipples or cups for the chickens, primarily because I'm worried about dirty water and refilling. The standing gallon waterer works perfectly fine right now; I only need to refill it once or twice a day, and their food and water are in an isolated corner of the yard where they don't scratch or dust bathe (though I have had to clean poop out of the water more than a few times because they like to roost on top of it). What are your experiences with nipples versus cups, in terms of mess and ease of teaching your chickens? Or will I be fine with simply getting another gallon waterer when they're too big to live off of the one?

Thanks for your replies!

I have the Ratproof Feeder and it works great. We have 5 pullets. 2 can stand on the treadle at once. Two more usually try to poke the heads in from the sides. Pecking order and bravest will usually eat first. Others follow after. I'd say to switch to a treadle feeder, sooner rather than later. Chickens don't like change and learning the treadle takes some time.

I do have a 5 gallon bucket with nipples, but I also have a regular water too. Some prefer the nipples, others tend to go to the regular. You can make something to put on top of the water to keep them from perching on it. My bucket water has a giant funnel on top. The regular water is on a tree stump and they have never perched on it...but it does have little legs on top (so the water part will sit stable while filling). The legs may help keep them off of it.

Last edited:
What are your experiences with nipples versus cups, in terms of mess and ease of teaching your chickens?

Nipple waterers are nice for reducing water loss via evaporation as well as keeping water clean. If possible choose one that's fully opaque and place it in the shade, and you should have minimal to no algae growth.

I've never tried cups, but teaching them to use nipples isn't too hard. Pick a day where you have time to supervise and it's not too hot out (so dehydration isn't an issue), then take away their existing waterer(s) and demonstrate how to use the nipple by either poking at the toggle while they're nearby watching, or picking them up and triggering the toggle with their beak, like so:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chickens-just-dont-get-it.1384534/page-2#post-22828077

Some birds - i.e. crossbeaks, older birds - may have a harder time learning. Young birds should pick it up pretty quick.

Hello! I'm new to posting here, but I've been lurking for months since getting chicks for my first flock. Those chicks (10 pullets, one cockerel) are now 8 weeks old, and I've been considering moving them to a big-girl feeder and waterer, but I wanted to ask a couple of questions here, first.

First, about the feeder: after a lot of research, I've decided that the treadle feeder is the best option for my flock, but I have one concern. I've noticed that, since they were very young, all 11 chicks tend to gather around the hanging feeder in a circle to eat together. Even the largest treadle feeder only feeds 3-4 chickens at a time, so will I need to worry about crowding or injury as they learn to use it? Or will the pecking order work itself out, and they simply don't bother eating in turns out of the hanging feeder because there's plenty of room for them (for now)?

Next, about the waterer I should upgrade to. I have been looking at getting either nipples or cups for the chickens, primarily because I'm worried about dirty water and refilling. The standing gallon waterer works perfectly fine right now; I only need to refill it once or twice a day, and their food and water are in an isolated corner of the yard where they don't scratch or dust bathe (though I have had to clean poop out of the water more than a few times because they like to roost on top of it). What are your experiences with nipples versus cups, in terms of mess and ease of teaching your chickens? Or will I be fine with simply getting another gallon waterer when they're too big to live off of the one?

Thanks for your replies!
I noticed if you can hang the waterers/feeders it keeps them cleaner and yes get 2 even if you get the nipples or cups that is in my batchler coop its there food and their waterer is the same way i hang them at their height and they don't jump on or in them but you have to get the right height

Attachments

• 20200805_220432.jpg
    20200805_220432.jpg
    614.1 KB · Views: 30

Back
Top Bottom