Question about feeders

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chalfant223, May 17, 2009.

1. chalfant223

chalfant223 New Egg

Jan 28, 2009
    Hampstead, NC
    When installing a hanging feeder, do you hang it outside the hen house or inside? How far from the ground or floor do you hang it? I went with the hanging feeder because right now the dish that I have, one hen will stand in the middel of it and eat.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Donna (NC)

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Hang at the level of the higher part of their back. Inside or out is your choice. They do wake up hungry at dawn, though. If you don't let them out til 9AM, they will mow you down to get to the food.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You can hang it either inside or out. The main thing is that it needs to stay dry. If you have a covered run, that may not be a problem outside. If you put it outside the hen house, the chickens have less reason to be inside so they will poop more outside. That reduces the poop load in the house. Some people feel they are feeding more songbirds and such outside so they feed inside. Either works.

The feeder needs to be even with the top of their back. They can still get to it but do not waste as much feed at this height.

4. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Make sure it is to the top of the back of your smallest chicken or that one may not be able to reach.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by