Question about feeding my chickens.

teresat616

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 29, 2011
Hi, I'm fairly new here and have a question: Is there any reason why I couldn't feed my chickens the leftover meat, veggies (carrots, celery, onions) and herbs (thyme, sage, parsley) from making turkey stock and ham stock. I absolutely hate to throw something away that would be fine for the chickens and I have a feeling they would devour it. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Teresa

Thanks so much! I think the salt content is pretty low as I tend to be conservative with it when cooking. I will freeze most of it so it keeps well and feed it to them in small amounts. I'm thinking that I can just throw it in their pen - bones and all. If I am wrong, please let me know. I accidentally killed my favorite, America - a beautiful silver wyandotte, by giving them a hot dog that wasn't chopped up enough - at least not for her. Now I am just paranoid about feeding them the wrong thing!

Unfortunately, I can't eat garlic so I don't use it at all when cooking. There's a ton of onions in it from my garden, so we'll see if we notice that when eating the eggs. Actually, I usually add a little onion to my scrambled eggs anyway, so I might not have to now. BYC has been priceless for feeding info. and I check the safe and unsafe food lists quite a bit. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom