Question about floating eggs

Spoiled1_629

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
Midland, TX
A little background to start.. I have 5 hens or pullets (24 and 26 weeks). 1 started laying the week before Christmas and I had another 2 start laying last week. So, I thought I had 3 hens laying. Today I was doing some clean up out by the pen and found a nest of 11 eggs. So I guess I have 4 of the 5 laying... sneaky little thing.

The thing is I have no idea how long those eggs have been out there and we have had some wacky temps and snow in the last week. Should I float test the eggs? What temperature should the water be at? How big should the container be that I test them in? Sorry if these seem like dumb questions I just want to make sure I do it right if I even need to do it.

Thanks in advance for any help I get!!! You guys are great!

What kind of chickens? If they are breed that lays frequently then those eggs should only be a week old or so old. If you didn't see any chickens laying on them then they should be good. Crack one open and see. I don't think you would need to do a floating test. They can't be that old. Store bought eggs are way older.

If you really want to do a float test just fill a deep bowl with regular water. Not too cold not too warm, you really can't screw it up cuz it doesn't really matter the temp. But the bowl has to be deep. Plop in the eggs. If they sink and lay on the bottom of the bowl they're good. If they float they're bad.

Back
Top Bottom