Question about genetically safe pairing

thespinningcottage

Songster
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
Arcadia, Florida
Hi, we have 6 pullets and 1 rooster which are RIR X White Rock. They came from a hatchery but I'm not sure which one, they were acquired locally without much info coming with them. They are all in with an EE pullet and a barred rock pullet which come from a different source altogether. They are established and a very loving group of birds. The rooster has been mating with them for 6 to 8 weeks now, and I'm interested in trying to hatch some of their eggs. Here are my questions:
1. What might the EE and the barred rock's babies look like from the sex-link rooster, and would they be sex-link birds?
2. Might it be safe to hatch the sex-links eggs from this possible sibling rooster?
3. If the sex-link rooster is related to the s-l pullets, what might be the outcome of their babies?
Thanks for your time!
big_smile.png

(Edited to add pictures: here's the EE)
35245_100_1369.jpg

And here's most of the group:
35245_100_1399.jpg

Last edited:
Sexlinks do not produce sexlinks. Since they are hybrids, the second cross will not be sexlinked at all. Related birds mating is not a problem. If they are siblings, the chicks will just inherit the traits from both and those traits, good or bad, will be intensified.
You can mate any breed to any breed, really, if you don't care to necessarily have purebreds. I hope I understood your questions so hope I answered them satisfactorily. If you mated most roosters to BR hens, the resulting males would be barred and females mostly solid colored, but since yours is a sexlink already, not sure what results you may get.

Thanks so much for your time - you did answer my questions. I was mostly worried about the possible ill effects of inbreeding between the sex-links, and just curious about the other questions. Now I won't be afraid to do this at some point in the not-too-distant future.
smile.png

Actually, with the barring gene they should be sex-linked with barred males and non-barred females. I'm just not sure what the base colour would be. It could be crele-ish or possible red barred or ...

However there is no way to make a sex-link using the same gene (silver/gold in this case) in the second generation. The father must be pure for the recessive trait (s+/s+ or b+/b+) for a sex-link crossing; however his sons will be split (S/s+ or B/b+).

I have no idea for the cross with the EE. But I will say that I have a couple of young pullets who are similar in colour (but they are not EEs, lol!)

Thanks for sharing your knowledge - this is all very new to me, and I don't want to unwittingly bring chicks into the world that may suffer from genetic defects. Now you have me curious about what the BR babies might look like. Hmmmm..... red bars? Now THAT sounds interesting! All these birds are so docile and that little rooster is so sweet as he goes about doing his jobs (he went through his terrible teenage stage pretty quickly, pecked me once and lived to tell the tale), that I think their babies might be pretty special. Might I pick your brain for one more answer? Do you think I should wait until the EE and the BR eggs are larger? Right now they are on the small side of medium. Thanks again!

Just wanted to say that everyone else has answered your questions quite well. In addition I wanted to say that most birds from hatcheries are not going to be closely related as they have to have a lot of birds to produce enough eggs and chicks to sell. So the chances of your Sex-links being brother and sister (genetically) is pretty slim.

I also don't see any reason why you couldn't try hatching out a few of their eggs. I don't think that would be too small.

Back
Top Bottom