Question about getting a rooster

Indiana Gallina's

Chirping
14 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Muncie, IN
I have been on this message board for a little while now. This is my first post. I just got chickens this past spring and used this website to guide me after I bought my 9 chickens. I bought 6 straight run without knowing what that meant and after I figured out what it meant I went back and bought 3 pullets to make sure I had at least a few hens lol. Well it turns out I didn't get one rooster out of the deal. Everyone I talk to cant believe that and said that never happens.

My question is I wanted to have at least 1 rooster and was wondering where or how I could get a Buff Orp rooster. Should I order one or post an ad on craigslist. Any suggestions would be of great help. Thanks

Far and away the safest thing would be to get a few straight-run BO chicks and then keep whichever turns out to be the, or anyhow, a, rooster. BO hens are generally fairly popular so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting rid of any of those.

The difficulty with buying grown chickens is that they can carry all sorts of exciting diseases that can't necessarily be discovered at the time of sale and may not be curable (or even definitively identifiable), or if the chicken gets over the symptoms it may remain a carrier that can infect the rest of your flock. At the very least, if you buy a grown chicken it would be Awfully Real Smart to isolate it for a month, "isolation" meaning in a separate building from your other chickens.

Good luck,

Pat

I agree with Pat, be EXTREMELY carefull bringing chickens that are from another "farm" on to your place.
You can be bring all sort of things onto your place.

Several years ago I had a animal control officer throw a chicken she found running loose over my fence. She ASSUMED it was mine because it was only three or four blocks from my place. Turned out the thing had blue comb disease. Needless to say I was not happy and of course several of my chickens contracted the disease. Believe it or not the city reimbursed me for my losses.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Now that you've finally come out of lurking, feel free to join the community and post some more! It's nice to meet you!
smile.png
I'm sure you'll fit in well here.

I agree with the two posts above. If you buy a rooster, you will have to quarantine it *just in case*.

If you're cool with that, I know there are plenty of people on BYC that could sell you a really nice rooster. Why not post an ad in Buy/Sell/Trade and see what offers you get?

Back
Top Bottom