Question about getting shipped hatching eggs

I agree, so many factors. I currently have eggs from Florida developing nicely in my incubator here in Hawaii. They were shipped express and only 2 1/2 days on the way. I’ve had eggs from across the island that didn’t fare as well. It’s a crapshoot every time!😊
I don’t want to take over this thread but I must ask. What did you get?! :love

I got hatching eggs from Georgia to Sacramento, CA and had better success with those eggs than the ones I got from 3 hours south of me! Just don’t expect many to hatch. Shipped eggs are a crapshoot! I was stressing about getting 18 hatching eggs because I had no room for that many chicks! Well only 4 hatched. And those came from 3 hours away too. It definitely depends on how they are packaged and how the postal service treats them. On the box the person that sent them wrote “this side up, FRAGILE” and they were always on my porch on their side! Even the most simple request in giant letters….so I say it’s totally worth trying if it’s a breed you realllly want and you accept the crapshoot! ☺️

Do you keep your silkies away from your other flock?
Yes! I actually do not recommend keeping Silkies with standard sized birds.
I had a mixed flock at one point. Two of my OG Silkies were the lead hens actually. The flock were raised together. Until a coup was attempted when two of the lower pecking order standards decided to try to take out one of the Silkies.
I have kept them separated ever since.🙂

Back
Top Bottom