Question about goats and milk.

RubberChickenLubber

Songster
12 Years
Oct 19, 2007
Newton, NC
I may have a chance to get a pygmy goat. She's around a year old and has yet to be bred. I'm really wanting a dairy goat, and she's not a dairy breed. If I breed her, will she be milkable. (please forgive my ignorance) I don't really need a lot of milk.

I was considering them also. I can get two for free so I looked them up online to see if they would be suitable for milk. I don't have alot of room either, so that makes them attractive. I found this link, so I think I will at least try them for milk. I can't wait to get my fence done, and then they will be coming to join our hobby farm!! I think the only difficult thing would be getting used to milking them as their teats are smaller and would take some getting used to.

http://kinne.net/milkpyg.htm

Quote:
Ditto this

Pygmy goats are supposed to have really rich milk though. They are also used for crossing onto Nubians to make Kinder goats-a dual purpose breed.

I looked around and dairy goats locally are $150+. I'm sure worth it, but I don't have that much to put into buying one. So I guess the dream will have to wait a while.

Look for a cross bred doeling. They come cheaper then the pure breds. Call the local extention office and find the 4-H leader that might be raising goats. They will know of someone most likley in need of rehoming a goat due to kids loss of interest.

Back
Top Bottom