Question about hatching Golden Comet eggs

Ok OK, Now I am confused because I have a white rock roo, with a NHR, and what I believe are red sex link.

so if I :

white rock roo x NHR hen= red sex link???

white rock roo x sex link hen= mutt??

white rock roo x white rock hen= more white rocks???

am I close??????

sorry to steal from the thread, just got confused over what gets me what.
jumpy.gif

The red color is a sex links.

So a red rooster on a white hen = white roosters and red hens

White rooster X red hens = non sexlink

I have several golden comet roosters and 120 golden comets hens. I usually sell the eggs to a small local grocery store chain. But, four times each year I hatch out some to replace the older hens in the flocks. I simply pen off 12 hens with each rooster for 2 weeks. To make sure they're fertile, I give them 10 days before I begin collecting the eggs. I collect them for 9 days (or until I have enough to fill my 150 egg incubator). Then the roosters and hens go back to the flocks. I keep only 50 hens in each house/coup. They free range during the day and come in to roost. For breeding purposes I move them to the other farm. I have NEVER had trouble hatching these eggs. Some hatch rates have been as high as 78%! My average hatch rate is 65%. You can begin to sex them at about 5 weeks of age. The cockerls are completely white and the pullets begin to grow brown feathers. I sell the roosters off to a fellow who feeds them until they're about 25 weeks...then butchers them. The pullets are moved to a hen house when they're 18 weeks old. They usually begin laying at about 20 - 21 years. So, don't let anyone tell you they won't hatch. They'll hatch just fine. Good luck.

Randy
Rooster Hill Farms

I have several golden comet roosters and 120 golden comets hens. I usually sell the eggs to a small local grocery store chain. But, four times each year I hatch out some to replace the older hens in the flocks. I simply pen off 12 hens with each rooster for 2 weeks. To make sure they're fertile, I give them 10 days before I begin collecting the eggs. I collect them for 9 days (or until I have enough to fill my 150 egg incubator). Then the roosters and hens go back to the flocks. I keep only 50 hens in each house/coup. They free range during the day and come in to roost. For breeding purposes I move them to the other farm. I have NEVER had trouble hatching these eggs. Some hatch rates have been as high as 78%! My average hatch rate is 65%. You can begin to sex them at about 5 weeks of age. The cockerls are completely white and the pullets begin to grow brown feathers. I sell the roosters off to a fellow who feeds them until they're about 25 weeks...then butchers them. The pullets are moved to a hen house when they're 18 weeks old. They usually begin laying at about 20 - 21 years. So, don't let anyone tell you they won't hatch. They'll hatch just fine. Good luck.

Randy
Rooster Hill Farms

Quote:
Yes they will hatch, but will be mutt chickens and no longer sexlink.

Sexlink chicks can be sexed at dayold by color.

Not sure I could feed them for 20 YEARS to get eggs.
lau.gif

Might be too late to get any response since last post was 1/19, but I was curious as to how we know which breeds have the silver gene? Is there somewhere on the web that is a resource for chicken genetics?

Another comment: in the 2009 Meyer Hatchery catalog under Golden Buff they say that the Golden Buff is also known as Golden Comet, Golden Sex Link, Cinnamon Queen, & Red Star. This pops another question in my mind, could the different names indicate the parent combination ie RIR x White Rock, RIR x White Leghorn, NHR x WR, NHR x WL? Also, is Black Sex Link the same as Black Star, Red Sex Link = Red Star?
tongue.png

Don't know who the parents were BUT

I had a Red star. She was huge. Laid huge light brown eggs. Had an annoying type 'crow'. We rehomed her. I can't get her pic to load as it says its the wrong file type, even though it's the same FILE TYPE JPG as the one below. ANY way she was a light tannish brown w/ red hackles and a couple black tail feathers. Don't know who her parents were but I am assuming a RIR X White Rock

We also got a "Cinnamon Queen" from a grower who got all her chicks from Cackle.

This is what she looks like (at 16 weeks):

10376_cinnamon.jpg

She is laying small pullet eggs now that are a dark brown.

I am assuming her parents were a RIR X White leghorn. She has grown in more white tail feathers since the pic. The grower had a bunch of them in a small pen and they picked on each other a lot!

Last edited:
Quote:
I have not bred this combination, I only know what has been written on the topic on the internet in such places as these:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_Link

Based on that, your second two combinations are correct, but your first one is backwards. NHR Roo with white Rock Hen would produce red sex link. The way you have it would not produce a predictable result.

Never Mind !! I pulled up the 2 hotlinks that Nathan gave above and they answer my questions and more..........

Back
Top Bottom