Question about hay

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cluckmecoop7, May 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. cluckmecoop7

cluckmecoop7 Crowing

Jan 4, 2019
    NE USA
    Hi members!

I have a quick question about hay, and here it is: What is the best kind of hay to give to my chickens to peck and scratch at? Also, can I leave it in the run? Because if it rains then it will get wet and I'm not sure if that is ok.

Thank you! And could you please reply soon because I want to go pick some up today!

2. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I'm currently using a compressed bale of Alfalfa and Orchard grass combo. I use it on top of Pine shavings on the coop floor. 20190508_174712.jpg . I clean coops weekly and toss the old bedding into their pen. 20190426_095413.jpg . I get it at TSC and it's expensive, but both coops are small and I use shavings under it. GC

chrissynemetz and cluckmecoop7 like this.
  3. If you check out the small animal section you can probably find Timothy hay in a smaller package. I'm fortunate to have tag ends of hay from my horses.

cluckmecoop7 likes this.
  4. Alfalfa hay has lots of small leaves that chickens will eat. Grass hay not so much.
    I also buy it in a compressed bale at TSC, but sometimes i can get a bale from a local farmer.
    So many are bailing in those large round bales and not so many still do the small square ones.

chrissynemetz and cluckmecoop7 like this.
  5. I think the difference is that alfalfa is not a grass it is a member of the pea family.

cluckmecoop7 likes this.
  6. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    I wouldn't put hay in a run or in a coop. It's important to differentiate between hay and straw! Straw is fine in the coop and in the run, hay often has mites, rats piss, mouse droppings and produces spores that are not healthy for a chickens lungs.

cluckmecoop7 likes this.
  7. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Crowing

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Buy a small bale of alfalfa. Pick out one with the most amout of leaf and the finest stem. Toss a single flake in the run (comes off in about 2# sections). They will scratch through it and pick out the leaves. Most stems get left behind.

Willowspirit and cluckmecoop7 like this.
  8. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    If it gets wet it will also get moldy.

cluckmecoop7 likes this.
  9. cluckmecoop7

cluckmecoop7 Crowing

Jan 4, 2019
    NE USA
    Thank you everyone!

10. cluckmecoop7

cluckmecoop7 Crowing

Jan 4, 2019
    NE USA
    ....but what is the difference between straw and hay?

SurferchickinSB likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: