💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hi members!

I have a quick question about hay, and here it is: What is the best kind of hay to give to my chickens to peck and scratch at? Also, can I leave it in the run? Because if it rains then it will get wet and I'm not sure if that is ok.

Thank you! And could you please reply soon because I want to go pick some up today!

I'm currently using a compressed bale of Alfalfa and Orchard grass combo. I use it on top of Pine shavings on the coop floor. 20190508_174712.jpg . I clean coops weekly and toss the old bedding into their pen. 20190426_095413.jpg . I get it at TSC and it's expensive, but both coops are small and I use shavings under it. GC

Alfalfa hay has lots of small leaves that chickens will eat. Grass hay not so much.
I also buy it in a compressed bale at TSC, but sometimes i can get a bale from a local farmer.
So many are bailing in those large round bales and not so many still do the small square ones.

I think the difference is that alfalfa is not a grass it is a member of the pea family.

I wouldn't put hay in a run or in a coop. It's important to differentiate between hay and straw! Straw is fine in the coop and in the run, hay often has mites, rats piss, mouse droppings and produces spores that are not healthy for a chickens lungs.

Hi members!

I have a quick question about hay, and here it is: What is the best kind of hay to give to my chickens to peck and scratch at? Also, can I leave it in the run? Because if it rains then it will get wet and I'm not sure if that is ok.

Thank you! And could you please reply soon because I want to go pick some up today!
If it gets wet it will also get moldy.

Back
Top Bottom