Question about hay

Straw is the stalk that is left after the harvest of grains. Could be wheat, rye, barley, oat. ..straw. Often there is some missed or loose grains but not enough to add much. Hay on the other hand is forage harvested hopefully at optimum maturity. High in protein, low in fiber, high in vitamin and minerals, tender and tasty. Rich in beta carotines that keep the yolks a bright orange. Straw is a bedding. Hay is a feed.

Straw is what's left over after wheat is harvested. Has no nutrients, it's just dried grass stems. Makes good bedding and is fairly cheap. It's a light yellow in color.

Hay is dark green leafy stuff and is fed to cattle and horses. It's actual feed, high in protein and nutrients, and costs more.

I wouldn't put hay in a run or in a coop. It's important to differentiate between hay and straw! Straw is fine in the coop and in the run, hay often has mites, rats piss, mouse droppings and produces spores that are not healthy for a chickens lungs.

Not our hay. Ours is fresh and beautiful. It smells so good i almost want to eat it. We feed it to our horses and our guinea pig. I use the spilled hay i sweep up from in front of the stalls for the chickens.

We use second cutting, which is often more tender and has more greens to pick off than first cutting hay. Ours is a grass mix that we make ourselves. We only use hay in winter. It will mold quickly in warmer wet weather if outside. In warmer weather chickens do better being offered greens like dandelion, or lettuce.

Last edited:
I got normal hay for my girls box..... They are able to make a nest with the hay and lay there eggs. Plus i applied to there coop so when the chickens jump off there roost they will have a softer landing.

I wouldn't put hay in a run or in a coop. It's important to differentiate between hay and straw! Straw is fine in the coop and in the run, hay often has mites, rats piss, mouse droppings and produces spores that are not healthy for a chickens lungs.
Which is why you should inspect any feed before you buy it. Properly made and stored hay should have none of these issues.

Back
Top Bottom