Question about hay

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cluckmecoop7, May 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Crowing

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Straw is the stalk that is left after the harvest of grains. Could be wheat, rye, barley, oat. ..straw. Often there is some missed or loose grains but not enough to add much. Hay on the other hand is forage harvested hopefully at optimum maturity. High in protein, low in fiber, high in vitamin and minerals, tender and tasty. Rich in beta carotines that keep the yolks a bright orange. Straw is a bedding. Hay is a feed.

2. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Straw is what's left over after wheat is harvested. Has no nutrients, it's just dried grass stems. Makes good bedding and is fairly cheap. It's a light yellow in color.

Hay is dark green leafy stuff and is fed to cattle and horses. It's actual feed, high in protein and nutrients, and costs more.

3. cluckmecoop7

cluckmecoop7 Crowing

Jan 4, 2019
    NE USA
    Ok, thanks everyone!

4. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    I have used the flock stuff at TSC, yes I put a layer of it then bedding in their for them.

cluckmecoop7, Sequel and Willowspirit like this.
  5. Not our hay. Ours is fresh and beautiful. It smells so good i almost want to eat it. We feed it to our horses and our guinea pig. I use the spilled hay i sweep up from in front of the stalls for the chickens.

chrissynemetz and cluckmecoop7 like this.
  6. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Oh, okay then.
    You should still use straw but...........

cluckmecoop7 likes this.
  7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Our hay is fine too, I use the waste hay, and have never had a problem. I think your climate and soil can also have a factor on what is successful bedding. We are arid and sandy. As a rancher, I have hay on hand, and have never used any other bedding.

chrissynemetz and Willowspirit like this.
  8. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Got my Puppy

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    We use second cutting, which is often more tender and has more greens to pick off than first cutting hay. Ours is a grass mix that we make ourselves. We only use hay in winter. It will mold quickly in warmer wet weather if outside. In warmer weather chickens do better being offered greens like dandelion, or lettuce.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    chrissynemetz and Willowspirit like this.
  9. Xlcandylx

Xlcandylx Songster

Aug 29, 2017
    Bells texas
    I got normal hay for my girls box..... They are able to make a nest with the hay and lay there eggs. Plus i applied to there coop so when the chickens jump off there roost they will have a softer landing.

10. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Which is why you should inspect any feed before you buy it. Properly made and stored hay should have none of these issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: