question about hen and her ducklings *pics added!*

duckface

Songster
10 Years
Aug 1, 2009
the back of my horse
Our mallard has just hatched some eggs (not sure of the total count yet, 9 for sure) and she laid them in a large wooden box that was used as a duckling house last year. My question is whether or not I need to put a fence around it to keep her and the ducklings contained or if it's safe to let her and them mingle with the other ducks (everyone else free ranges 24/7). The problem with the house is that it's raised off the ground and the babies wouldn't be able to get back into once they make the leap out. Should I move to her to a different house/pen area? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I would as I have lost a few chicks that were in nests off the ground and not easily accessable to them. I would think she could still be with the flock if you set up the box on the ground. But be careful they are so vulnerable when that small and can be easily picked off by predators.

what fun watching momma and her ducklings is awesome
smile.png

Thanks for the reply! When I checked in there later in the day I counted 20 babies!!! I think I'll find them a new place to move to tomorrow. I've confined them to just the house right now which is plenty big. If I move her, though, and she doesn't have access to her nest will she still be able to warm them properly?

when you move her just make a nice nest for her and plop the ducklings in you could even use a plastic bin just cut out one side so that they can walk easily in and out. she will understand. Wow 20 ducklings that is a lot what a great Momma! you must take some pics when you get the chance, I bet it is too cute for words! Congrats
smile.png

Thanks so much for your help AHappychick! I got momma and babies moved this morning and took a couple of pics. Still not sure of my count, but I think it's 19.
big_smile.png

38104_may_10_004.jpg

38104_may_10_007.jpg

Holly Duck! That is a lot of babies! Good Momma. Is that a plastic 55 gal drum? LOL, I think that may have just solved a problem for me......
smile.png

Quote:
Totally Cool! Do you have a full view pic of it? Love your sig, BTW, couldn't agree more.

Back
Top Bottom