question about injured hen!

I'm so happy to hear this. All five of my hens were attached last night by a neighbor's dog, two of them were killed, and two are badly injured. I'm curious, did you give your Eggster any antibiotics? I flushed their wounds with diluted peroxide and I sprayed them with the blue kote. I also put eloctrolytes and raw apple cider vinegar in their water. Did you do anything else besides that? I'm so scared for them.
sad.png
But, your news gives me hope.

I bought vetrycl spray and used neosporin, kept the wounds clean and yes I did give her penicillin shots which was a nightmare to me cuz I was scared. She got a few days of them cuz she kept tensing up amd the pennicillan is thick wnd woukdnt go in her muscle. Keep her warm, I sctually had her in thr house in a cage. If she is eating and pooing it is a good sign. You csn also put a crushed up baby strength aspirin in her water for pain. I know how scary it is and I am so sorry you lost some of them! Dont give up hope and keep the wounds clean. If they smell bad they are infected. The vetrycil spray is expensive but worth it.

So far, I've been putting the blue kote on their wounds and neosporin for the last two days. I have them in my dining room. They are both eating and pooping- a lot. Mary has quit laying, but I figured that's pretty normal, right? However, the last two days they have been making lots of noises: major clucking, the other day Mary sounded like she was crying. But then they'll settle down. I notice they're both up walking around or standing more, and they keep kicking out their bedding. I don't know what else to do. My RIR was completely untouched; she's been out in the coop. But I brought her in last night because it dropped into the teens low twenties, and I was worried about leaving her out there by herself. It's in the mid-high twenties this morning... can I take her back out there? Will that shock her, the change in temperatures? I'm so stressed out. How long do you think I should keep the other two girls inside... until their wounds start to really knit together? Thanks again for all of you all's help.

If there isn't any wounds in one I wouldnt wofry about putting her out in the coop. U keep then wsrm so they can heal. As for the droppings in your dining room, I used doggie training pads on the floor for easy cleaning up. Also my hubby fashoined a perch becauee the hay ended up on tbe floor anyways you could also put a piece of cardboard under it so it doesn't end up on thr floor. I used an old towel for her to lay in as well, hosed the poop off and kept washinf it. Idk how deep or bad the wounds are but I had my hen in for a good 6 weeks and her muscles were showing under her wing and from the pic u can see tbat she had something sticking out of her. I woukdnt let her out for awhile because the first thing she will do isa dirt bath. Forgivd my typos lol I gave mine watersoftened pellets to eat, hard boiled egg yolks for protien and some ham lunch meat, gatorade in her water and if you give any antibiotics donr give milk products. I gave her yogurt until I started the meds ans dont eat any of her eggs for 2 weeks after meds stop. Also give probiotic pills of u give meds to replace good bacteria in rhe intestinal area. I know your worry believe me and I'll be praying for her recovery! She wont lay eggs for awhile. My eggster just started laying again but not every day

Wow- okay. So, six weeks? How soon was she up and moving around? Lucky and Mary both are becoming quite active and vocal, but their wounds are still quite open. I didn't realize they may be inside that long... I may move them in to our basement... I read on one of these posts to clean their injuries w/ a saline solution. I think I'm going to start doing that tomorrow. Thanks for listening to me yap. I love these little girls, who woulda thunk it? = )

Why not put them back out in the coop with a heat lamp or ceramic heater? It may keep them used to outdoor temperatures now that things are getting colder. Cleaning the wounds initially with weak Betadine , Hibiclens, or saline is good, but just applying neosporin ointment (plain) daily should be enough. If any wounds start to look infected or smell, then clean them again with one of the above solutions. An antibiotic in their water might help prevent an abcess or infection. Erythromycin (Gallimycin) is good. Amoxicillin or Keflex from a vet would be even better. Let the wounds heal from inside out--don't try to close them, and leave uncovered except for Neosporin.

My hen was up and moving around from the start but I kept her secluded so thr other hens didnt pick at her wounds. Apparently the wounds would "taste good" to them yuck! I kept her in that long because of the wound that looked like part of her crop was sticking out and let that grow mostly closed. I would have kept her in longer except hubby accidentally let her loose. I also loved the fact that she was letting me pet her lol I wasnt ready as much as she was I suppose. Chickens csn heal very good and I am sure your girls will make it, if my Eggster did, and seeing the way she looked, I am amazed at how they heal and bounce back. My vet friend said ine reason is cuz theybhave a naturally high body temp and a fever is meant to kill off bacteria, and so that could be part of why they can heal so well. My only concern would be that the other chickens would peck at the wounds and as stated dont try to close the wounds cuz it could trap in bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom