1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Question about intervening(update with pic)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Oct 8, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My dad decided to 'help' a pipped chick, and tore the shell all to heck. I read the sticky on intervening, and it said to wrap the exposed membrane with a warm wet cloth. Won't this make the egg chill? If so, should it affect the chick?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  2. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    The two times I did it I used a warm washcloth and held it in my hand until it felt too cool and then put it back in the bator wrapped in the reheated damp cloth. I would leave it for a while to get really warmed up againa and then pull it out and carry on. I found that the membrane dried out too fast if I put the egg back in without the cloth on. I also had to use an eye dropper with warm water to soak the really hard dry pieces of membrane off. It was absolutely fantastic having that little chick 'hatch' on my hand when it had no hope a few hours before. And it did fine - I have no idea which one it is because it blended in so well once it fluffed up and I didn't mark it... good luck.

3. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    yes, use a WARM wet cloth. [​IMG] I have read that some people wrap like half the egg in the cloth when put back in the bator, and yes, the eye dropper thing works well, i have heard. [​IMG]
    Uh oh, you shouldn't rip the whole egg apart! All you need to do if an chicken isn't making any progress after about 24 hours, make a small hole at the top near the air hole, or where the chick pipped(i think you can pip where the chick already did it. not sure.) But anyways, i would pip a small hole in the top, where the air sack is. Then, look into it and if you see movement, make a little more, until it starts to bleed. Then STOP! Wrap it in a warm wet cloth(making sure the pipped hole is not blocked) and leave it. [​IMG]

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Step #1 - kick your fathers butt for screwing with the egg. [​IMG]

Step #2 - can you post a pic of the egg so we can see what he did to it so we can help more !!!!????

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:It was my dumb DAD, not me, And i told him again for like the millionth time that he is not supposed to do that, but he is worse than a kid!!!

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:How bout a pic of the chick?? It hatched just fine, after a few hours, with no ill effects, so it seems. I did have it wrapped in a wash cloth, everywhere except the beak area. I also used a q-tip to wet the membrane. So disaster evaded... [​IMG] Thanks everyone for your help!
    Here is the egg (or what's left of it). The big hole is what damage my dad did to it.

[​IMG]

And here is the chick...

[​IMG]

...isn't it just the ugliest thing you ever saw?? [​IMG]

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    LOL, they all are kind of odd looking when they first hatch and then about a month after. But cute I guess in the same way !!!

You need to tape your father to a chair while hatching eggs !!!!!

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Tell me about it!! And this is not the first time he has done that either!! We must have pretty strong chicks, though, so far he hasn't killed any this way!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by