Question about intervening(update with pic)

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
My dad decided to 'help' a pipped chick, and tore the shell all to heck. I read the sticky on intervening, and it said to wrap the exposed membrane with a warm wet cloth. Won't this make the egg chill? If so, should it affect the chick?

Last edited:
The two times I did it I used a warm washcloth and held it in my hand until it felt too cool and then put it back in the bator wrapped in the reheated damp cloth. I would leave it for a while to get really warmed up againa and then pull it out and carry on. I found that the membrane dried out too fast if I put the egg back in without the cloth on. I also had to use an eye dropper with warm water to soak the really hard dry pieces of membrane off. It was absolutely fantastic having that little chick 'hatch' on my hand when it had no hope a few hours before. And it did fine - I have no idea which one it is because it blended in so well once it fluffed up and I didn't mark it... good luck.

yes, use a WARM wet cloth.
wink.png
I have read that some people wrap like half the egg in the cloth when put back in the bator, and yes, the eye dropper thing works well, i have heard.
smile.png

Uh oh, you shouldn't rip the whole egg apart! All you need to do if an chicken isn't making any progress after about 24 hours, make a small hole at the top near the air hole, or where the chick pipped(i think you can pip where the chick already did it. not sure.) But anyways, i would pip a small hole in the top, where the air sack is. Then, look into it and if you see movement, make a little more, until it starts to bleed. Then STOP! Wrap it in a warm wet cloth(making sure the pipped hole is not blocked) and leave it.
smile.png

Step #1 - kick your fathers butt for screwing with the egg.
smack.gif

Step #2 - can you post a pic of the egg so we can see what he did to it so we can help more !!!!????

Quote:
It was my dumb DAD, not me, And i told him again for like the millionth time that he is not supposed to do that, but he is worse than a kid!!!

Quote:
How bout a pic of the chick?? It hatched just fine, after a few hours, with no ill effects, so it seems. I did have it wrapped in a wash cloth, everywhere except the beak area. I also used a q-tip to wet the membrane. So disaster evaded...
smile.png
Thanks everyone for your help!
Here is the egg (or what's left of it). The big hole is what damage my dad did to it.

PICT0070.jpg

And here is the chick...

PICT0068.jpg

...isn't it just the ugliest thing you ever saw??
love.gif

LOL, they all are kind of odd looking when they first hatch and then about a month after. But cute I guess in the same way !!!

You need to tape your father to a chair while hatching eggs !!!!!

Tell me about it!! And this is not the first time he has done that either!! We must have pretty strong chicks, though, so far he hasn't killed any this way!

Back
Top Bottom