Question about isolating new hens

doodledoo

Songster
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
Cartersville, GA
I hope this is in the right spot....I am going tomorrow to get 12 BR hens that are apox. 1 yr old. I know that I need to isolate them from the rest of my flock for several weeks but I am not sure where to do it. My chickens all free range so they have access to the whole yard so anywhere I put the new ones my others have access to them or the area in which they are kept. Our coop is 40 feet long and is divided into 3 8 feet sections and one 16 foot section. Each section is divided by dog wire. Could I safely keep them in one of the 8 feet sections or would that be too close to my others in case there is a problem with them?

Sorry no one knowledgeable has come along to answer your question. I, myself, do not consider myself that knowledgeable but I think I've read where you need to keep them more quarantined than that because airborne illnesses could easily reach your chickens that close. It IS a dilemma! Could you house the new ones in a garage or outbuilding at night and set up a completely separate pen for them away from where your girls range? Do you know your neighbors well enough to enlist their help? Good luck with your new girls!

Well we have no garage or basement so that is out of the question. We do have neighbors but two of the three also have chickens. The one without would probably let me keep them there and I think they my even have a covered dog run that they could stay in. Thanks for the suggestion - I will have DH call them when he gets home.

If you *have* to have these two chickens, and can't *possibly* isolate them somewhere physically separate, then I guess you do what you can. I'd suggest finding something to cover the dog wire with -- plywood, very thick plastic if they're not so bored they peck at it, Palruf panels, whatever you can rig up -- so that they are not breathing and sneezing and kicking up dust and poo at each other quite so much. Then always deal with the new chickens AFTER finishing all work with your own chickens, possibly using a different set of shoes if feasible, and wash your hands real well afterwards.

Good luck,

Pat

Pat,
I believe it was TWELVE chickens, not two.
big_smile.png

ETA: Doodledoo, Of course you will let your neighbors have all the eggs they lay during their quarantine time, right?!
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom