Question about Lady Amherst

aticiabray

Chirping
7 Years
May 28, 2013
Washington
Hello everyone. Tomorrow I am getting two or three Lady Amherst pheasant chicks and I was just wondering what to expect personality wise.
I have only done Ringnecks so I'm used to flighty, wild-ish birds that don't particularly like being handled.
Are all pheasants this way? Or are the ornamental pheasants different? More tame? More wild?
What is different about Lady A compared to Ringnecks?
Anyway, just wondering. Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited:
My pair of Lady Amherst pheasants will eat out of my hand, but I do spend lots of time with. Ringnecks are flighty birds, which is why I do not have them anymore. If you spend a lot of time with your chicks they will be tame. Tragopans are also friendly without much work. My Temminck's Tragopans jump on my lap to get treats, eat out of my hand, and just recently they learned to fly to my arm and get treats. Lady Amherst pheasants take two years to color up and breed while Ringnecks will be colored and sexually mature once they are a year old.

I also have a them and like Blue Creek said they can become very tame. Mine also always come running to me and eat out of my hands. And I have 1 male that will always jump onto my shoulder every chance he can get and not move from there unless I push him off. Also since I talk to mine alot my males will always show off. They do have some great personalities and you will love them.
Good Luck

pheasantfrenzie is completely correct. They are great birds with great personalities. Even though Lady Amherst are considered more common in aviculture, they are one of the most beautiful pheasants in my opinion. Keep us updated with pictures please.

That makes me really excited to hear that they become friendly instead of just being wild.
I'm tired of wild pheasants that don't like me very much. Haha.
Here's a pic! :)

I hope you don't mind but I want jump in on and ask a few questions about raising lady amherst. Mostly I just want know where I can get the most information about raising them. I would really like to get a pair but know nothing about them and when I search I am only get information about their personalities. I want to learn about what type of pen they need what type of housing and mostly about their feed and how to keep them a live in the winter. Thank for any advice

Last edited:
I have a few amerherst and the birds that I have Are calm stable birds. I'm not someone who likes hand feeding or having my birds landing on me. But my birds get along fine in a mixed flight... so far.

I hope you don't mind but I want jump in on and ask a few questions about raising lady amherst. Mostly I just want know where I can get the most information about raising them. I would really like to get a pair but know nothing about them and when I search I am only get information about their personalities. I want to learn about what type of pen they need what type of housing and mostly about their feed and how to keep them a live in the winter. Thank for any advice
Check out www.gbwf.org.You will find all there info you need on all species of pheasants.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom