Question about Lavender and Isabel Lavender coloring genetics

mwhit35

Songster
Jan 5, 2020
Can someone please help me understand how the Isabel coloring comes into the whole color genetics thing..

I ordered some Lavender Brahma hatching eggs from a breeder and some of the chicks grew up to have a mix of pale gold and lavender coloring (I believe this is called Isabel Lavender but please correct me if I am wrong!). I would like to continue this coloring as I prefer it to the straight lavender but I am confused as to how this should be accomplished. If I breed this hen to a Lavender rooster can I expect any of the offspring to be the same color as her?

I have included a pic of the hen so you can see the coloring I am talking about....she is a bit ratty looking as she is molting. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 913631567_20210618_095915_4165214_resized.jpeg
    913631567_20210618_095915_4165214_resized.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 89
Isabel in brahmas is lavender on partridge.
Lavender is lavender on black.
If you breed a lavender to an isabel you'll get a bird that is lavender over extended black/partridge. None will be isabel but you may get some leakage on the males that sort of resemble isabel.
You can do the cross and then bred those chicks together or bred them back to an isabel and then you will get some isabel.
You can also breed an isabel to a partridge then do the same with those chicks to get some isabel.

Isabel in brahmas is lavender on partridge.
Lavender is lavender on black.
If you breed a lavender to an isabel you'll get a bird that is lavender over extended black/partridge. None will be isabel but you may get some leakage on the males that sort of resemble isabel.
You can do the cross and then bred those chicks together or bred them back to an isabel and then you will get some isabel.
You can also breed an isabel to a partridge then do the same with those chicks to get some isabel.
Great - thank you for the explanation!

Back
Top Bottom