Question about laying after attack by dog...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by superjules75, Oct 12, 2009.

1. superjules75

superjules75 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Two small dogs came in my yard a little over a week ago and killed one of my pullets and injured another. I had 3 total - 1 EE and 2 Buff Orps. Now, I have one of each breed (I lost an Orp). They are 22.5 weeks old and neither have started laying yet. Will the attack delay eggs from the injured one significantly? Could someone give me some idea of what to expect? Thanks!

2. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Unless their "parts" were injured, it shouldn't effect anything. [​IMG] Sorry your pullets got attacked. [​IMG]

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Stressed chickens will stop laying for awhile and even with hens already laying every day egg production can drop for a week or so after something like that if they get injured or badly chased. The pullet may not lay until she recovers from her injuries but you shouldn't really notice a big delay. Even if they don't lay for several more weeks it would be hard to say whether they were just naturally late, the weather caused it, or it was actually the fault of the dog. When a pullet starts laying is a bit too random to really predict and know all the details.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by