Question about leashing

I am going to have to check them out! I bought a small harness and a leash today, and tried her out on it when I was getting my son off the bus today. The look on the bus driver's face was priceless!

However, Madea was less than thrilled. She just laid over on her side and looked at me like "Paa-Leeze. I ain't no dog!" She finally got to where she would walk around, but still would look at me like that. I don't think it will take her long to get used to a leash, and I think she likes the comfort of me having to be close. She seemed to forget about it when she found a beetle!

So far, so good with Madea. She's still less then thrilled, but she's getting better. She won't completely lay on her side now, she does take a few steps on her own. But as far as walking long distances...anything over 5 feet...she refuses. She's kinda like a puppy, she sits down, and expects to either be picked up, or dragged! I won't drag her, and she knows that.

I have a little bantam hen that was a lone hatch just like yours...I named her "Solo". She's now 3 months old & very small. When I tried to integrate her with the rest of the chickens her size...it was a disaster! The bantams beat her up & she beats up the silkies.

I tried the mirror...she just turns her butt to it & refuses to look. I put her in the coop in a seperate cage & she screamed for 2 days until I took her out.

She's afraid of all of them & prefers to sit on my shoulders like a parrot....preening my hair & talking. She sits up there & glares at them while I work in the coop. I just purchased a nice cage & she'll be moving to my daughter's as a house chicken/parrot. I thought I was the only one with a chick like this!
lol.png
Glad she'll be close by so I can visit!!

I had the same problem with my silkie,she was the only one hatched in a incubater so she imprinted on us mostly my dh.We had a terrible time trying to intergrate her into the flock,firt tried to put her with a broddy that hatched out 5 eggs and the mama would have taken her but Jadee(HIS OR HER NAME) would have nothing to do with them and screamed and tried to dig her way out it was so sad that we brought her back in and put her in her fish tank with her bear toy,we did try a few more times to intergrate her to no avail. This is Jadee with her bear and feather duster mom.
44824_baby_likes_stuff_toy_2.jpg

So te next step was to move the fish tank out into the silkie coop so she would know she was a chicken(we did have a mirror in tank for her and she was scared for a few days of it)
44824_jadee_made_it_to_the_coop.jpg

That did not work either,we tried many times to put her on the floor with the others and she would sream and jump on us we stayed with her some of the time to make sure she was not picked on,then left her and watched through the window and no way did she like it in there again we felt sorry for her,so we took two of the other baby silkies form the mama and put them in a cage with Jadee hoping that she would relize she was a chcken,it took awhile but she did get used to them being in there but would not roost with them,she always roosted by herself on a little roost the dh made for her.
44824_jadee_and_her_friends.jpg

Its been week now and Jadee finally made it into the flock,we put her and the two friends in at the same time and all is well she stays mostly with her buddies.I keep saying she hope I`m right.
44824_jadee_made_it_in.jpg
She is the one to the right in the front

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom