question about letting eggs rest before incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chkinut, Dec 16, 2010.

1. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i received 12 beautiful eggs in the mail yesterday. i'm pretty sure (hopefully) that i'll receive over 2 more dozen eggs in the mail today......(a total from 2 different shippers). my question is.....i know you're suppose to let shipped eggs "rest" for 24 hours before incubating......could i set my eggs tonight or tomorrow morning? if i set them tonight, that would give my newest egg shipments only 8 hours of rest. if i set them tomorrow, that would give them 16 hours of rest. i just don't want my 1st shipment waiting around too long. or, is it ok for them to rest 2 days instead of one? i just don't want them to get old.

2. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Actually, I have done both. Some have rested (only because I was waiting for more eggs the next day), and some got to room temperature and were put in the bator. I haven't really seen a difference in hatch rates.

3. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    It is better (IMO) to let them rest longer (2 days) rather than shorter ( 8 hours).

Shipping does a number on hatching eggs. It is BEST if they are placed in the incubator within 1 week of laying. The hatching rate drops after the first week, but is still a good rate if set before 2 weeks passes. The shipping part of the transaction causes MORE problems than the actual age of the eggs.

4. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    I never let mine rest more than 4 hours. Never had a problem.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by