1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question about letting hen hatch her own eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by renae, Apr 1, 2007.

1. renae

renae Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2007
    my speckled polish hen has laid two eggs and has decided she wants to sit on them.i would like to let her do this and have it be a successful hatch.how can i do this.should i seperate her and her eggs from the rest of the group.how long does it take before the eggs will hatch.and if i do move her how can i move the eggs without causing any damage to them.ifi move her and her eggs will she still care for them or will she be to upset over the move and give up on the eggs

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    if you move her an her eggs it might break her up from sitting.so id leave her sitting where she is.an if other hens lay in her nest.id mark her 2 eggs in some way so youd know to only get the freshed layed eggs.

3. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    Quote:Once she starts it will take around 21 days, give or take a day.

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I moved my hen to her own place at night, when she was asleep. It was a lot less stressful for her and we were able to see what she had under there (and remove the golfball that she'd found [​IMG] ).
    She's still sitting... I put food and water in there for her and she's a lot better off in her own little nest by herself.

5. dragon

dragon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2007
    brainerd mn
    [​IMG] golf ball.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by