Question about lice and mites

Chickiebabyfluff

Yappette in Training
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
NorthEastern Ohio
Is there a natural way to prevent lice and mites before they become an issue? Is it possible to just treat the flock to prevent this issue? if so what is best to use? Thanks for any advice

Last edited:
Yes! They sell mite and flea killer for cleaning out chicken coops and spraying down your chickens at farm supplier stores! If the mites have already become an issue, which you can tell by their feet being extra scaly and dirty looking, you rub petroleum jelly on their feet everyday until all the mite dirt comes off.
I had a bad mite problem last year and asked the same question and this really worked

Quote:
awesome!! i will get some today!! ty so much!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I suggest researching DE before choosing to use it. There is some debate over whether it is effective or not and it produces a fine, breathable dust that can cause lung scarring. Understand proper care before applying it if you choose to use it.

Also, there are reports that incidents of mite infestations are increased with the use of wooden roosts. If you are concerned there are mites in your area or have had recurring infestations already, consider using another material for your roosts.

Quote:
I suggest researching DE before choosing to use it. There is some debate over whether it is effective or not and it produces a fine, breathable dust that can cause lung scarring. Understand proper care before applying it if you choose to use it.

Also, there are reports that incidents of mite infestations are increased with the use of wooden roosts. If you are concerned there are mites in your area or have had recurring infestations already, consider using another material for your roosts.

What kind of roosts could you suggest? Almost anything I can think of would be slick.

Quote:

What kind of roosts could you suggest? Almost anything I can think of would be slick.

There is decking material that is not actually wood. It is some kind plastic textured to look like wood. You could roughen up some pvc with sandpaper (in a well ventilated area wearing a dust mask and safety goggles). I would ask in the Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance forum to see if others have any better ideas.

Back
Top Bottom