1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about lice and mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickiebabyfluff, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Chickiebabyfluff

Chickiebabyfluff Yappette in Training

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    Is there a natural way to prevent lice and mites before they become an issue? Is it possible to just treat the flock to prevent this issue? if so what is best to use? Thanks for any advice

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  2. krazychick28

krazychick28 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    Yes! They sell mite and flea killer for cleaning out chicken coops and spraying down your chickens at farm supplier stores! If the mites have already become an issue, which you can tell by their feet being extra scaly and dirty looking, you rub petroleum jelly on their feet everyday until all the mite dirt comes off.
    I had a bad mite problem last year and asked the same question and this really worked

3. Chickiebabyfluff

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    Quote:awesome!! i will get some today!! ty so much!![​IMG]

4. Chickiebabyfluff

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    What about Diatomacious Earth is tht something i cana use on like a weekley basis to prevent outbreaks and keep my flock healthy?

5. 2overeasy000

2overeasy000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    You can give them a sandbox or DE box. They bathe in it and seems to help.

6. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Quote:I suggest researching DE before choosing to use it. There is some debate over whether it is effective or not and it produces a fine, breathable dust that can cause lung scarring. Understand proper care before applying it if you choose to use it.

Also, there are reports that incidents of mite infestations are increased with the use of wooden roosts. If you are concerned there are mites in your area or have had recurring infestations already, consider using another material for your roosts.

7. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I suggest researching DE before choosing to use it. There is some debate over whether it is effective or not and it produces a fine, breathable dust that can cause lung scarring. Understand proper care before applying it if you choose to use it.

Also, there are reports that incidents of mite infestations are increased with the use of wooden roosts. If you are concerned there are mites in your area or have had recurring infestations already, consider using another material for your roosts.

What kind of roosts could you suggest? Almost anything I can think of would be slick.

8. Anianna

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA

What kind of roosts could you suggest? Almost anything I can think of would be slick.

There is decking material that is not actually wood. It is some kind plastic textured to look like wood. You could roughen up some pvc with sandpaper (in a well ventilated area wearing a dust mask and safety goggles). I would ask in the Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance forum to see if others have any better ideas.

9. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks,Just found pests on my chickens today. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  10. Anianna

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Quote:Sorry to hear that. There is some treatment information in the first link in my signature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by