1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about light and laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lhayes1976, Sep 8, 2011.

1. lhayes1976

lhayes1976 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    If I do not supplement light in the winter and they get a break--will they lay for a longer amount of years? Do they completely stop laying in the winter? I have three Golden Comets that are 20 weeks old--one has started laying, but the other two have not. Since the days are shorter--will they even start to lay?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:It depends a lot on the breed and individual bird, if they continue laying through the winter, without supplemental light. I am not familiar with Golden Comets.
    Some people do believe that they will lay into later years if they get a break. I am not of this opinion, mine have not stopped laying earlier because I do add light.
    I would expect your other 2 pullets will start laying soon. They can start in the fall or winter. I had 2 start the second week of December, a few years ago.

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by