question about "lock down" - Brooder baby pic

Lorije1

Songster
9 Years
Mar 13, 2010
This is my first time incubating, so please forgive dumb questions.
I set the eggs on Sunday 2/13, so by my count 3/4 is lockdown. But what is that? I don't open the bator now except to check the water levels... and the water lasts days so I don't know how I can increase humidity?
It is a styrofoam LG with an auto egg-turner... 2 thermometers but nothing to measure humidity. The directions said to leave one of the red plugs out... do I put it back for "lock down?"

help?
smile.png

Last edited:
Hello!

I'm thinking, for that model, you fill all the areas of the water tray to bring up the humidity. I really wish you had something to measure the humidity.......Too much and the chicks can drown in the shell, too little and the chicks can "shrink wrap" in the membrane inside the shell.......I hate to say those things and worry you. Just follow your directions and hope for the best. Resist opening that incubator at all costs until you see nice, fluffy chicks.......

Probably putting that plug in is a good idea........

Wishing you the best,
Sharon

The only dumb question is the one not asked. With all the experience available on this forum, it would be a shame if something bad happened because you failed to ask a "dumb" question. Not asking is being dumb. And if anybody gets snippy, it is real easy to ignore them on the internet.

Check my post on this thread on how to determine when lockdown and hatch us. If you set them on Sunday 2/13 then lockdown is Thursday 3/3 and hatch is Sunday 3/6.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=319371

I set the eggs on Sunday 2/13, so by my count 3/4 is lockdown. But what is that? I don't open the bator now except to check the water levels... and the water lasts days so I don't know how I can increase humidity?

Humidity is controlled by surface area. You can increase humidity by filling more water reservoirs or putting in sponges or paper towels that expose more surface area so you can get more evaporation. I don't have your type if incubator, but the instructions should tell you what to do and how to do it. If you use a sponge or paper towel, the reservoir will run dry a lot faster.

I use two plastic straws with an accordian joint stuck together and a syringe to add water to mine during lockdown. It is amazing how much you can twist that around. Again, I'm not familiar with yours so I don't know how that will work for you.

I don't use my hygrometer to tell what the humidity is. I use it to tell me when I need to add water because it is so hard to tell when the reservoir is dry. My instructions told me which reservoirs to fill during incubation and which during lockdown and that has worked for me.

It is a styrofoam LG with an auto egg-turner... 2 thermometers but nothing to measure humidity. The directions said to leave one of the red plugs out... do I put it back for "lock down?"

Do not put it back in. The chicks need the oxygen.

I am glad you posted this... I, too, am concerned about bringing up humidity for lockdown. I have the LG with the forced air fan. Temps have been good, and humidity has been steady but only reading 25-30% on the hygrometer, even though ALL the water channels are full to the top. I add water every 2 or 3 days to keep them full, and the humidity has not once gotten to over 31%. I am really worried about how this is going to play out during lockdown.

Last hatch (different incubator and different hygrometer/thermometer), the hygrometer only read 60% but the chicks were drowning & the majority drowned after pipping. We only got 4 chicks out of 11 eggs, and 2 died the first couple of days because we had a mercury thermometer in the brooder that was reading 92°, but when we switched it out and put in a digital after the 2nd chick died, we discovered it was 104 in the brooder & that's what killed our two chicks. We have 2 living from that hatch which were the 2 bantam chicks that almost drowned.

Going to be interesting to see how we do doing lockdown. I don't go into lockdown until March 10th. I'll be watching this thread to see how your hatch goes. Wish you much luck and success!
smile.png

thanks for the input all.... these are 'just' mutt eggs, but I figure a life is a life ya know?

I don't have any sort of fan in the 'bator.... it is one I borrowed from my neighbor. It and the turner were new in the boxes. I am still trying to convince my buff brahma she really really does want to set on that nest, but so far she isn't buying it. If I could get her to set I'd just move these out to her, but she wont commit.

barnie.gif
barnie.gif

I came home from work and found the temp in the bator at about 108!! No telling how long it was that way, so I am betting my chicks are dead. I'll wait a few days and candle again and look for signs of life.

&*$)%(*#@#
somad.gif

well, I just wet some paper towels, removed the egg turner and put the eggs on "lock down". There are some I know will not hatch on Sunday, because the light still goes through the bottom part of the shell. I don't know if they may just be delayed or if the chicks are dead.... hope the eggs don't bust open if it is the latter
sickbyc.gif

ETA - do I leave the temp running around 101 where it has been?
also.... the left side of the 'bator has been running a little cooler than the right, so I am hoping there are some that survived the temp spike the other day

Last edited:
WOOOT!!! I have a pip!!! I thought they were cooked, or cold, or dry or drowned.... it hasn't hatched so there is still room for disaster... but I have a pip!!!
2241_pip.jpg

I had 50 eggs make it to lockdown and I placed half in my second incubator (both are little giant still air incubators) to make room for all to have room for hatch. Any how, I just went and checked on mine and the temps spiked to 105 but they are still chirping away. I have 13 that has hatched so far and there are many more pips in there. My humidity all thru the hatch has been 55-60%.

I hope you have chicks tonight. Mine actually weren't due until tomorrow or Monday.
jumpy.gif

I am so nervous you would think I was in a people hospital walking the corridors
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom