Question about lockdown

dandydoodle

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
georgia
When an egg is rocking does that mean it is time for lockdown? I had a broody sitting on eggs but she stopped so I had to incubate but, I am not really sure what day we are on. I saw an egg rocking this morning, do you think that means we should be on lockdown?

I haven't seen it rock since this morning. Right after I saw it rock I opened it up so that I could put more water in so I could get the humidity up and then put it in lock down. When do they start rocking? Since it was rocking does that mean there was an inner pip. There was no pips in the shell. If there was an inner pip could I have shrink wrapped it when I opened it to put in water. I am a little concerned since I haven't seen any rocking since this morning. If I saw it rock this morning I probably shouldn't turn anymore, right? I don't want to mess it up I know they all have live babies in it because, I candled before putting them in the bator.

thanks for any help,
Michelle
hide.gif

Hi
I dont know for fact as i am new to this too and mine arent yet at that stage but since you have nobody who knows answering yet and i know you are anxious,...my 2 cents...
from what i have read on this forum myself if it were me i wouldnt mess with it any more or open the lid now .
It should be in lockdown if it is moving I believe.
You dont know what day you are on huh?Thats tough. but i think all signs point to it getting ready to pip
The rocking i would guess is it moving into position to pip.
Either way i think opening it to do anything now would be a mistake .Better to just let it alone until someone who knows answers you with a better answer.You seem to have done all you can now.
Is your humidiity up to 65% then it will be all you can do until somebody pips,
GOOD luck and hope you get a better answer from someone who has hatched before.. and hope your babies will be fine!

If it was not an externally pip you didn't shrink wrap it. That happens when they have pipped the shell and the humidity is too low and dry air gets in. Just keep temp constant 99.5 if your incubator has a fan or 101 degs? for still air. Don't open the incubator and be patient. Rocking could have been it changing position to get ready to hatch. It takes time for them to absorb yoke and I think they take naps and breaks during hatching. Good Luck with your hatching
fl.gif

Sorry just saw this.My eggs start rocking about the 18th or 19th day.I'd go ahead and stop turning and put it into lockdown.

Last edited:
Hi dandydoodle, I have some eggs hatching at this moment, I have seen my eggs start to rock 1-2 days before they hatch,once they are in lockdown, they can rock for a bit and then stop and you may not see any pips for awhile, I try to keep my humidity around 65%, as they hatch the humidity will rise from the hatching. they may also pip and then rest for awhile and not move for a period of time . its best to just let them hatch, not open the bator or move the eggs. the chick needs to get itself into position for hatching. Good luck.

Oh thanks everyone!!! I feel so much better. I was just worried I had shrink wrapped it. There isn't an external pip. I was just worried when I opened it that I had shrink wrapped it. I also wanted a second opinion that we should definitely be in lockdown. I guess without knowing exactly how far we are lockdown is best.
fl.gif
Thanks so much for all the help.

I think my humidity might be to high though. I have just seen to many different opinions on what the humidity should be. I wish I knew what it should be. :0(

Back
Top Bottom