1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about making a PVC feeder.......

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Luanne Hott, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Luanne Hott

Luanne Hott Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    Blairsville, GA
    Is it better to cut individual feed holes or a large narrow rectangle?

2. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    My grandfather used to make them a lot he would split in in half and make two lol

3. Luanne Hott

Luanne Hott Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    Blairsville, GA
    Yes, we used feeders like that for alpacas. This will be a closed system so to say, where you poor the feed down through a PVC pipe. Just want to know which opening is best.

4. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

5. BathrobeGardner

BathrobeGardner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Altadena, California
    [​IMG]

This is what my husband built for me. It works very well and there is no waste. Also he used the cheaper drain pipes rather than PVC. The whole thing cost less than $20 and when I fill it up with food, it lasts almost 2 weeks for 11 chickens.

6. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    I had circles at first and the feed didn't make it all the way to the end. Switched to rectangles and the birds would sit in the trough and poop in the food. Now mine looks identical to RonP.

7. RonP

I had to put a 2" extension on mine (not shown in picture) to completely eliminate them flicking and wasting any food.

They stick their heads in further, no issues now whatsoever.

[​IMG]

8. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    I've got similar (although my extensions are just short cut pieces of pipe instead of fittings) if you can make the bird put it's head and neck in a tube to get food, there's no where for it to go when they flick it - so no mess.

1 person likes this.
  9. RonP

Yes, and if I remember correctly, it was your suggestion to do so when I originally posted my feeders.

You were so right. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by