Question About Mallards and Feed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KOTurkeyRanch, Jan 16, 2011.

1. KOTurkeyRanch

KOTurkeyRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    I know they cant have medicated feed when they are young but what about whenever they are full grown?

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Double post: Disregard

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  3. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    From what i've read, use to, the reason you couldn't feed baby ducks medicated feed was because of what the medication (more or less poison) was in the chicken feed and same went for the older ducks. but they have changed what the medication is now and i have read conflicting posts on wether or not to feed it. Best thing to do would be to check out what your feed store has and do some research on the product and see if that particular medication in the feed is safe for ducks by looking it up here/online or even asking your local vet, They can be very helpful on this stuff.

Edited to say: When i first started raising ducks i fed the ducklings medicated chick starter and they turned out fine, but its up to you.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    What I did for my ducklings is give them medicated feed for 4 weeks then switch to what the adult birds eat (since our feed store doesnt sell grower)

I've done a lot of research and you can give them medicated feed but its your choice noone others [​IMG]

5. KOTurkeyRanch

KOTurkeyRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    What was the medication in the feed?

6. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by