Question about manners

PatmosRuby

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 27, 2008
Patmos, GA
Is it me being old fashion or would you think it is still good manners to respond to a RSVP? DS is having a birthday party tomorrow and not one single parent has RSVP back if they were coming or not, I put my email and phone # on the invitations, I have even emailed them today to ask, told them I was trying to get a head count and still no one has responded. DH says to cancel the party but I have already but a deposit down on the place and DS is so excited about it, it would be my luck I cancel it and everyone would show up. What am I going to do if we get there tomorrow and no one shows, I'm already so mad that I feel like calling them and telling them to forget it. Am I being petty? I don't know what to do.

Last edited:
Unless your invitation says "Oh show up if you feel like it", your invitees are rude to not respond.
When is the party? I would call them at the deadline when you can cancel the party venue and get your deposit back and ask for an answer.

I still am of the opinion that RSVP means respond either way- if you are coming or not coming to the party.

I would say that if I were in this position, I would just have the party since you have put the $ down but I would invite a family member(s) to make the group "larger."

Repondez, s'il vous plait....Respond, if you please.....I'd say, no response means they aren't going to show. You should have had a deadline.

Most RSVP have a deadline to respond by... if they dont respond by the date then i'd assume they arent coming.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

with my daughters party i wrote on the invite i need to plan food please rsvp by-------- so I can order.... no late calls please. I handed out the invites 3 weeks before the party.. they had 2 weeks to respond... the monday before her party I called the cake shop and the pizza place..

what bothered me though was the invite said for sally to come... NOT sally and guest... I had 18 kids at this party and only ordered and planned for15

This has always been a problem for me at kids parties. Many people think RSVP means regrets only, so only call if they do not intend to come, others never respond. I have had birthday parties where I have called the parents of every child invited....annoying, but not as much as having to cancel a party your kids has been anticipating for months.

I've had people bring extra kids, people who are no-shows (I know things happen) and people who are late to the point of missing food and activities. One person dropped her already hyper kid off for an overnight after letting him drink a big gulp of Dr. Pepper.....

Last edited:
Yes this is annoying, and common in my party planning experiences as well. I have found that many parents think that they only need to call if they aren't coming, and if you don't hear from them they tend to show up. I would be very specific on an invitation, especially since many party places have a set party size, and if the kids don't show, you still have to pay the full amount! I once planned a baby shower with similar problems and spent a good deal of energy stewing over the rudeness of people!! I also had a mom bring an invited child and 4 siblings to a birthday party for my son as he turned 4. She didn't bring a gift either, which DS noticed and pointed out to her!
hide.gif
I hope the party turns out to be fun for everyone, and let us know how many of the non-RSVPers show up.

I would not count out the ones that do not respond!! I think it depends on how well you know you are to the guests. Usually the folks we invite, are close enough to us to be like family or our family that has no other choice than to show up
lol.png
I sent out 20 invites,didnt get one RSVP back & all showed up!

Back
Top Bottom