Question about Marek

Watolf

Songster
Jun 5, 2023
New Hampshire
Do ducks can get marek disease? If no, do they can be marek carrier into chicken flock?

I’ve been wondering about it for a week. I felt i need to know about it if i want buy duck from state fair 😳

If there is anything i need to know, please let me know!

Mareks is a Herpes virus affecting chickens (primarily). It is not known to affect ducks, or be carried by them. If you were to bring a duck home from the State Fair and find Marek's in your flock thereafter, it would not be due to the duck being a carrier (in the conventional sense). It would be due to the dander of Marek's positive chickens at the Faire getting onto everything else at the Faire - mostly you, your shoes, and your clothing, but yes, the duck too.

Chances are REMOTE, however. Plenty of us shop at the farm store on chick days, sharing space with other customer's whose own biosecurity measures may be lacking, some of whom may maintain Marek's positive flocks. My guess is that there is a similar risk profile.

Mareks is a Herpes virus affecting chickens (primarily). It is not known to affect ducks, or be carried by them. If you were to bring a duck home from the State Fair and find Marek's in your flock thereafter, it would not be due to the duck being a carrier (in the conventional sense). It would be due to the dander of Marek's positive chickens at the Faire getting onto everything else at the Faire - mostly you, your shoes, and your clothing, but yes, the duck too.

Chances are REMOTE, however. Plenty of us shop at the farm store on chick days, sharing space with other customer's whose own biosecurity measures may be lacking, some of whom may maintain Marek's positive flocks. My guess is that there is a similar risk profile.
Thank you for an information!

Is there way to remove to eliminate marek germ off of ducks’ feathers and our clothes? I’m really considering get duck from fair for first time. I have other 5 ducks i got from shipping when they were ducklings.

Wash your clothes - preferably in hot bleach water or at least using an oxygenate (such as OxyClean) - shoes too, if you can, or keep coop shoes and faire shoes different (and apart).

Generally Herpes virii can live outside the host for a couple hours to a couple days, depending on surface and humidity, but it loses its ability to infect more rapidly than it dies.

Good biosecurity - a seperate quarantine pen with good distancing between it and the main flock for typical quarantine periods is plenty long enough to ensure against potential transfer, and something you were going to do anyways, right?

Wash your clothes - preferably in hot bleach water or at least using an oxygenate (such as OxyClean) - shoes too, if you can, or keep coop shoes and faire shoes different (and apart).

Generally Herpes virii can live outside the host for a couple hours to a couple days, depending on surface and humidity, but it loses its ability to infect more rapidly than it dies.

Good biosecurity - a seperate quarantine pen with good distancing between it and the main flock for typical quarantine periods is plenty long enough to ensure against potential transfer, and something you were going to do anyways, right?
This year are so humid in concord, NH. I shall see what i can do! Look like i’m going have load of showering after attend state fair. 😂 thanks for an information.

Back
Top Bottom