Question about Mareks and chicks

Moxiechick

Songster
10 Years
Jan 15, 2010
Maine
I'm expecting my chicks to arrive next week. I have ordered for them to be vaccinated against Marek's, but I am wondering if it takes awhile for the vaccine to be effective.
My neighbors recently got chickens, and I believe them saying that they had gotten theirs from the local feed store. I know this feed store does not order their chicks with the vaccine, because I asked them if their chicks were vaccinated a few months back.

I know when a puppy is vaccinated, you are supposed to keep them away from places with a lot of dogs until enough antibodies have been built up. Is this the same with Mareks? The chicks will be inside for at least 4-5 weeks, but I know Marek's can travel by air, and their coop is fairly close. The neighbor's birds are healthy as far as I know, but I know that what one flock can cope with, another flock may have trouble with.

I'm actually very pleased to have chicken people for neighbors. I just want to be sure the birds will be safe.
Will we be safe as long as we take off our shoes and wash our hands before entering the "nursery"? (As the spare bedroom has now been renamed!)

Thanks!
smile.png

Last edited:
You should be safe as long as you wash down & take shoes off. Marek's vaccine is supposed to build full immunity by 14 days, so after that time, they should be fine to go on outside jaunts.

Good luck, & sounds like good planning!

Back
Top Bottom