Question about Marek's vaccination . . . . .

I emailed MPC just because I was curious why the vaccination was not available on Bantams. Here is the response I got. Thought it might be helpful to others so I am passing it along.

"Thanks for writing My Pet Chicken. The reason we don't offer vaccinations for bantams is that the vaccinations are often ineffective for them because the birds are so tiny that it is too easy to administer incorrectly (to stick the needle through two layers of skin and simply miss the subdermal injection). This would make the bantam vulnerable to infection, even though the customer has chosen to vaccinate and has actually paid for a vaccination. It would be awful for a customer to believe his or her birds were safe, and then to find out otherwise in such a horrific way. We don't want our customers to risk that."

Good to know! Thanks for finding out. Vaccinated another one tonight- it is really easy.

Not thrilled to have to break into a whole bottle each time, but glad to be able to do it just the same.

One of mine got a little wobbly two days or so after her vaccination, and then cried piteously for a few days-I gave her extra fluids and tried to make sure she was ok, and finally she got better- shew.

Glad the chick pulled through. How old are the chicks you are vaccinating? Are you using Ft Dodge Vaccine? I was reading the recommendations that come with the vaccine and it says for day old chicks only on it, but in an earlier post it was suggested that the vaccine was effective for birds up to 3 weeks old. Just curious if it is the same product.

Jaybme - by the way I am a huge Trekkie (not Trekker, as per Gene Roddenberry's wishes). I have converted my wife into one of us as well
wink.png
She is really getting into watching all the old episodes and hates it when I watch one without her. She is already making plans for us to go to the convention next year. We have 2 Scottish Terriers their names are Mr. Spock and T'Pol (it's those ears). Live long and prosper!

Well, the chicks I vaccinated last week were two weeks old. I called the vet and Fort Dodge to see what they thought, and they said do it.
Pretty much saying it will help no matter what, but that after three weeks the chicken won't benefit ( did not catch the reason on that, other than the chick won't form anti-bodies anymore?)

I wonder why the live virus is used- must have to do with stimulating the immune system. The vet said I could keep it a day or so, which I am doing, as another one hatched today and it would be a tremendous waste to chuck a bottle with 999 doses in it. This incubator runs low, so my chicks could all hatch on different days - I only have three eggs! Not sure if I will go get another bottle or just let the shed virus immunize the last one should it hatch tomorrow.

I am an old trekkie- mostly gave up after the original series, due to time constraints more than anything, but also, who could replace Nimoy (my secret crush) or Shatner? :)

Mr. Spock and T'Pol- TOO FUNNY- Love your doggies already!
lol.png

Perhaps the dose would be too low once a chick is over 3 weeks. Any living organism with a working immune system will be able to produce antibodies at any age. I would think once the vaccine bottle is "open" it allows outside contaminants in and could introduce unintended pathogens to the chick if it was open more than a couple of days. They really should make smaller bottles for us non hatchery people.

Nobody will ever be able to replace Nimoy or Shatner, but the new stuff is worth watching IMO. Still fun to watch.

I think they don't recommend the vaccine for older birds because they figure they have already been exposed to the virus and it will be too late.

I have heard from many sources in the case of an outbreak on a previously clean farm to vaccinate all birds. I think there was an question in the Poultry Press about it earlier this year.

Back
Top Bottom