Question about mites and elector psp

Thank you soooooo very very much!!! So at what point would you redo the treatment? And would you get rid of the shavings and also do the dip again too? I will for sure be keeping the young ones quarantined until they are older so I will for sure be keeping them separate in their own coop area

I would check tonight an hour after sundown if you see them come out of their hiding spots. I usually find them on the roosts or in areas I saw a mass colony before, think tight spaces. If you see any, even just a few, spray again. I did take out the shavings because I saw them underneath. They were everywhere. Since you can pick up your chickens you can spot check them under wings and butt area and see if you can find them. Usually those mites only come out at night but when you have a crazy infestation, they are everywhere, including on the chickens. We held a letter sized white paper in the coop during the day and they would just drop from the ceiling hoping it was a moving chicken lol. If there isn’t anything on the chickens I think there isn’t a need to dunk them again. If you only find a little spraying them under wings and butt area should be enough. It’s not as torturous to them as being so wet. ✌️

I would check tonight an hour after sundown if you see them come out of their hiding spots. I usually find them on the roosts or in areas I saw a mass colony before, think tight spaces. If you see any, even just a few, spray again. I did take out the shavings because I saw them underneath. They were everywhere. Since you can pick up your chickens you can spot check them under wings and butt area and see if you can find them. Usually those mites only come out at night but when you have a crazy infestation, they are everywhere, including on the chickens. We held a letter sized white paper in the coop during the day and they would just drop from the ceiling hoping it was a moving chicken lol. If there isn’t anything on the chickens I think there isn’t a need to dunk them again. If you only find a little spraying them under wings and butt area should be enough. It’s not as torturous to them as being so wet. ✌
I would check tonight an hour after sundown if you see them come out of their hiding spots. I usually find them on the roosts or in areas I saw a mass colony before, think tight spaces. If you see any, even just a few, spray again. I did take out the shavings because I saw them underneath. They were everywhere. Since you can pick up your chickens you can spot check them under wings and butt area and see if you can find them. Usually those mites only come out at night but when you have a crazy infestation, they are everywhere, including on the chickens. We held a letter sized white paper in the coop during the day and they would just drop from the ceiling hoping it was a moving chicken lol. If there isn’t anything on the chickens I think there isn’t a need to dunk them again. If you only find a little spraying them under wings and butt area should be enough. It’s not as torturous to them as being so wet. ✌
Wanted to say thank you... I dipped all my girls then cleaned very good and sprayed all coops with the Elector.. I waited 7 days and checked the girls and I couldn’t find any mites but 2 seemed to have possible dust/eggs so I went a head and dipped one more time and sprayed all coops one more time too with the Elector.. I was VERY impressed.. I had one hen who had several to start with and looked amazing after the first dip but I wanted to be sure with the second.. I’m kinda freaked out now by it and will continue to check them regularly for the next month or two.. I also DE all the bedding and shaving in all coops and also DE several dust bath areas they use while free ranging a couple different days and also put out some sand and wood ash but they didn’t seem to interested.. maybe I got the wrong type of sand 🤷‍♀️ .. everyone swears theirs love the sand.. How often do you think I should clean out the coop and spray the inside to make sure I keep the bugs away? Thanks again for all your great advise =)

Wanted to say thank you... I dipped all my girls then cleaned very good and sprayed all coops with the Elector.. I waited 7 days and checked the girls and I couldn’t find any mites but 2 seemed to have possible dust/eggs so I went a head and dipped one more time and sprayed all coops one more time too with the Elector.. I was VERY impressed.. I had one hen who had several to start with and looked amazing after the first dip but I wanted to be sure with the second.. I’m kinda freaked out now by it and will continue to check them regularly for the next month or two.. I also DE all the bedding and shaving in all coops and also DE several dust bath areas they use while free ranging a couple different days and also put out some sand and wood ash but they didn’t seem to interested.. maybe I got the wrong type of sand 🤷‍♀️ .. everyone swears theirs love the sand.. How often do you think I should clean out the coop and spray the inside to make sure I keep the bugs away? Thanks again for all your great advise =)

Hi :) I’m so happy it seems to be working *knockonwood! I would really just check at night if you see some crawling on walls or on the roosts. It’s just about keeping them from repopulating. By now you should know some of their favorite hiding places, like little crack etc. I always check out those first and if you see just a couple I only spray those areas and the roosts. Make checking for mites a routine in your chicken care and you won’t ever have this nightmare again.

A word on the DE. It doesn’t do anything to mites, they walk just through it like it’s a spa treatment. Trust me. Also DE is very bad for a lot of beneficial bugs and our bees, I personally stay way away from that. I really only use elector and Neem oil.

Good job on fighting those suckers! Your chickens must be really happy 💚.

Hi :) I’m so happy it seems to be working *knockonwood! I would really just check at night if you see some crawling on walls or on the roosts. It’s just about keeping them from repopulating. By now you should know some of their favorite hiding places, like little crack etc. I always check out those first and if you see just a couple I only spray those areas and the roosts. Make checking for mites a routine in your chicken care and you won’t ever have this nightmare again.

A word on the DE. It doesn’t do anything to mites, they walk just through it like it’s a spa treatment. Trust me. Also DE is very bad for a lot of beneficial bugs and our bees, I personally stay way away from that. I really only use elector and Neem oil.

Good job on fighting those suckers! Your chickens must be really happy 💚.
I have a newer (less than a year old)tuff shed type coop 10x12 and I actually didn’t see any in the coop.. my girls all sleep on wood roosts and I looked there before to.. I think I have the Northern Fowl mite type which I was reading needs to live on a host I believe.. I did really spray the coop well just to make sure.. How exactly do you spray the Neem oil? With the Elector I used a garden pump type sprayer and it was super easy to spray everything down good..

I have a newer (less than a year old)tuff shed type coop 10x12 and I actually didn’t see any in the coop.. my girls all sleep on wood roosts and I looked there before to.. I think I have the Northern Fowl mite type which I was reading needs to live on a host I believe.. I did really spray the coop well just to make sure.. How exactly do you spray the Neem oil? With the Elector I used a garden pump type sprayer and it was super easy to spray everything down good..

I had both types of mites, red and northern and always found them in the cracks as well. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I use organic neem bliss, it’s omri listed. I just follow the instructions on the back. Warm water and soap (I use biodegradable, acts as an emulsifier). And yes, I used the garden sprayer as well. It’s very quick. I alternate elector and neem because I’m concerned the mites might build up a resistance.

I had both types of mites, red and northern and always found them in the cracks as well. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I use organic neem bliss, it’s omri listed. I just follow the instructions on the back. Warm water and soap (I use biodegradable, acts as an emulsifier). And yes, I used the garden sprayer as well. It’s very quick. I alternate elector and neem because I’m concerned the mites might build up a resistance.
Awesome!!! Thanks for the great info.. I’ve never used or heard of the Neem Oil and I thought of how messy and yucky oil can be and got panicked Ha Ha I want to keep my new coop nice.. but keep the bugs away too.. Do you noticed a really oily residue after? Are you able to buy it on Amazon do you know or where is a good place to purchase that?

Awesome!!! Thanks for the great info.. I’ve never used or heard of the Neem Oil and I thought of how messy and yucky oil can be and got panicked Ha Ha I want to keep my new coop nice.. but keep the bugs away too.. Do you noticed a really oily residue after? Are you able to buy it on Amazon do you know or where is a good place to purchase that?

I got it off amazon. Not sure if I’m allowed to post links or what but if you search “organic neem bliss” you’ll find it. It’s not a lot of oil you use. I didn’t see any residue. I also used it to get the aphids off my rose buds. It was bad. Took care of 80% and beneficial insects and birds ate the rest. I also used it to stop the dog from itching. It’s a very versatile oil around the house. Start googling, you will be amazed 😃.

Back
Top Bottom