Question about mixed flock

Quote:
You gave me a giggle with this one.
smile.png
If only our city's Code Compliance Dept., and my husband for that matter, could understand "chicken math".

No one understands chicken math...that's why it works.
gig.gif

Thank you so much, everyone, for the tips and information on the different breeds. I am so glad you warned me about the Polish hens. I am going to scratch one of those girls off the list.

Thanks again,
CJ

Not 100% sure at this point but I am kind of leaning toward 2EE, 1 Wyandotte, 1 Silkie Bantam and 1 Mille Fleur D'uccle or 1 Sebright..... or 2 EE, 2 Wyandottes and 1 Orpington or 1 Silkie Bantam. Decisions, decisions....

Quote:
Do you think that their buddy needs to be another Silkie or can it just be another type of bantam?

No, another bantam would be fine, as long as they are raised together, they won't care who their buddy is.
smile.png
I'd go with the d'Uccle for the Silkie's buddy personally.
wink.png

Sussex are beautiful and friendly!!!

Last edited:
For the most part, my silkies all group up with the other silkies.
They are all free range & can make their own choices.
They are territorial & certain places in the back yard belong to them.
I have a couple of silkie hens that hang with the big girls.
(They are the exception to the rule.) The front yard belongs to that group.
I feel sure it is because they prefer their rooster over the silkie roosters.
He is very laid back and a true gentleman.
Hope this helps.

i hope you have good luck with a silkie. i had 4 regular girls, and then a silkie. they accepted her while they were all fairly young. then as they aged....after a couple of them started laying eggs.....she began to get picked on. she would try to hide from them and she would stay hidden ALL day and not come out to eat etc....so i had to give her away to a friend. just my personal experience. it could go totally fine for you. i loved her though, and i hated to get rid of her. good luck!

As for my Silkie experience, I had 9 ladies and introduced 5 Silkie hens. They were picked on terribly. They had bloody toes from the other hens pecking their furred feet. I ended up creating an annex within the coop for them. They have a separate run and everything. Now I have 6 silkies, and 14 other chickens. I love them all. Sadly, I couldn't integrate the flocks together. But I've heard if they are raised together, they don't know that there is no such thing as furry feet and won't try to remove the silkies feathers.

Back
Top Bottom