Question about molting in chicks

Hermits Garden

Vintage American Featherless Biped
Oct 8, 2018
I've tried to find answers to this, but either I stink at searching these forums or this question hasn't come up just this way.

Earlier I asked about my Delawares' wings--how two were different than the other two. I was told it was just a difference in their feathers and that they'd molt out to white.

So my question is this: when do chicks molt--and how often do they molt until they have their adult feathers?

Edited to add: my chicks will be three weeks old on Monday the 9th.

My various chicks have molted just after they got in their juvenile plumage. I had some amberlinks that feathered out in about 4.5 weeks, and right then, I started seeing their white feathers in the brooder (a sign they were molting into their adult plumage). I'm not sure if they molt in the same order the juvenile feathers came in or not though.

My various chicks have molted just after they got in their juvenile plumage. I had some amberlinks that feathered out in about 4.5 weeks, and right then, I started seeing their white feathers in the brooder (a sign they were molting into their adult plumage). I'm not sure if they molt in the same order the juvenile feathers came in or not though.
Thank you.

So they molt once after they do their chick-feathering? Kinda seems biologically counter-productive to finally get feathered out and then molt to get new feathers...(but maybe it makes sense in Chicken World.)

Thank you.

So they molt once after they do their chick-feathering? Kinda seems biologically counter-productive to finally get feathered out and then molt to get new feathers...(but maybe it makes sense in Chicken World.)
yep that's what they do. they hurry and put in flight feathers, then other camouflage and body temperature feathers, consider that just a temporary thing to tide them over.

Well, now that makes sense.

Do they re-feather right after, like Spring Valley's chicks, or do they wait til they're a little bigger? All this is so new to me.

And I confess I will be sad to no longer be able to identify them by their baby feathers. I don't want to put ankle "jewelry" on them til they're grown...

Well, now that makes sense.

Do they re-feather right after, like Spring Valley's chicks, or do they wait til they're a little bigger? All this is so new to me.

And I confess I will be sad to no longer be able to identify them by their baby feathers. I don't want to put ankle "jewelry" on them til they're grown...
I'll look forward to seeing some expert wisdom/info on patterns of juvenile vs adult feathering. I can tell all my chicks apart right now, but it'll be interesting to see how (for example) the birchen roadrunner cockerel develops as he feathers out as an adult.

I didn't notice a color change between the first set of feathers (after their down) and the second set in the brown leghorns. For the australorps, the first set are black and white; the second set are entirely black.
Now you mention it, my midnight majesty marans also had some white wingtips as youngsters but they don't as adults.

Back
Top Bottom