question about molting

the3ofus+oursixchicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
alabama
petunia my barred rock hen is around 2 years old. i can tell she has been molting a little not much but i can feel the new little feathers coming in. anyway the past fews days well maybe 2 weeks she has just been putting around not as active as usual. do they get sluggish when they are molting?

oh, thats good to know because sometimes its like she wants to be alone and just stand or ie around. was getting a little worried about her. thanks

oh, thats good to know because sometimes its like she wants to be alone and just stand or ie around. was getting a little worried about her. thanks
My hens are lazy when molting, and I free range - so it's very noticeable.

They will scream if you try to pick them up. The pin feathers are not comfortable at all.

Hopefully that's all it is anyway. My molting hens always want to be with other chickens though.

My blue orp is in a terrible molt right now and when I let the chickens out to free range the yard in the evening, she just sits in the pen or coop by herself. Usually she's the first out of the gate. She's terribly grumpy and covered in prickly quills.

Back
Top Bottom