question about Muscovy and Cayuga mix..will they be able to have ducklings?

Perhaps, but not necessarily. In any population periodically non standard birds/animals spontaneously appear. Happened recently in a penguin colony where a beige and white bird appeared. Anyone taking such a mutation and carefully breeding/selecting might be able to perpetuate the new color.

I have never heard or seen a beige and white penguin. that would be interesting.

This is such great info! Thank you so much guys...I'm so sorry I haven't posted any pictures yet. I've had an unexpected family illness. Reading all of these posts makes me hopeful that They are Muscovy. I really wanted them to breed with my white ones so I could see the different colors. I will get pictures soon though.

caf.gif

This is such great info! Thank you so much guys...I'm so sorry I haven't posted any pictures yet. I've had an unexpected family illness. Reading all of these posts makes me hopeful that They are Muscovy. I really wanted them to breed with my white ones so I could see the different colors. I will get pictures soon though.

I've raised muscovy for over 14 years and in all that time I have only had (2) mixes hatch. They were cross with sweede. I had both a hen and a drake. They were presumably and most likely sterile, though I never took the time to verify that.

The most interesting part was seeing who they would hang out with - who they most identified with. The drake was hatched in a muscovy clutch. We had to take him in order to not risk the hen getting of the nest because he hatched much sooner than the rest of the clutch. The other was in a sweede clutch.

They still had the characteristics of both breeds, mostly coloring, but they alwo both had the mohawk and the tail wag.

I crossed a muscovy drake with my cayuga hen I hatched about 20 eggs out of 30 they are mules but the females still lay eggs but the egg is never fertil even after matting with a drake I have tried to hatch them nothing happens but a mule hen still can lay eggs I have opened the eggs and they don't have the bullet eye anywhere on the yoke not even after breeding so it is possible to get eggs from a mule hen but they will never be fertil even if she breeds

Back
Top Bottom