Question about my baby chicks.

kristen110907

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Hi all my name is Kristen and i am new here obviously lol. So my husband and i decided to get some chicks about 5 to 6 weeks ago and we are loving them! I love this website because everytime i had a question about my chicks google always sent me here :). Now i have a question for you guys, i have always wanted silkies and finally today after what seemed like a long search for months i finally found some or so i think. I went to tractor supply and was told by an associate that the chicks i was looking at was bantams, I asked if any were sikies and he said the white ones are. So they had black ones and said that the blacks where not silkies they were just assorted bantams and i began to get nervous that the whites were assorted too and not silkies. He was in a hurry and didn't care or seem to know much about the cuties. So i got 3 what i hope are silkies, 2 of them have black beaks and black legs and 5 toes which i have heard is what silkies have. However my third one looks just like them but has a yellowish beak and yellow legs but has 5 toes and lots of hair on its legs. It's legs also seems to be spread wider apart than the other two. Could that one be a silkie as well or what i am so new at this and could use as much help as i could get in identifing these babies.

Can you post a photo of your chicks. Especially the last one that your are unsure of. I can't off the top of my head think of another bantam breed that has 5 toes. It may not be a very good quality of Silkie, but it most likely is a Silkie. Hope that helps.
big_smile.png

It may very well be a silkie just more the hatchery type, rather than what you would get from a true silky breeder. Having said that, this ? silkie can be just as sweet and loving just not show/breeding quality

I do hope you will post a photo on here so we can see. You could also ask questions on the "Silkie thread," just put that in the search box and it should pop up. There are several dedicated silkie threads some regarding different colors, and even one giving bathing instructions for shows.

Here are some pictures of my new babies, unfortunatly i do not believe that one of them is going to make it, the one that has the yellow feet and beak for some reason can't really walk or move. She just drags her feet like they are hurting her i'm really worried she isn't going to make it through the night.

I really think something is wrong with her foot. Here is a picture of what my other silkies look like

images

Welcome to BYC!

How is the chick with the foot issue this morning? Sometimes they do pull something in the leg or foot and will limp around for a couple days. As long as he is standing and can walk, so as not to have spraddle leg, then he should recover. I am not good with chick ID. You can post these pics in our What Breed section for some good help with this...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

If your chick is still having trouble this morning, let us know and we can try to help. You can also post questions in our emergency section here on BYC for help there as well...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Enjoy your new babies and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Cute babies! Sorry about your yellow chick, hope she is alright this morning. X2 on post in the Emergencies forum about her if need be.

Back
Top Bottom