Question about my duckies!

Baby ducklings that have been with their mothers because she brooded them can swim a few hours after they're hatched because the mother rubs her oil onto them. If ducklings were incubated or abandoned from their mother, they should wait several weeks (2-4) until they make their own oil for swimming. When they have the special oil is when they can go swimming, but since you won't know when they have it, I would say around when they're 3 weeks old.

Baby ducklings that have been with their mothers because she brooded them can swim a few hours after they're hatched because the mother rubs her oil onto them. If ducklings were incubated or abandoned from their mother, they should wait several weeks (2-4) until they make their own oil for swimming. When they have the special oil is when they can go swimming, but since you won't know when they have it, I would say around when they're 3 weeks old.
Honestly Poultry Girl I have to beg to differ, most on here let their new day or 2 old ducklings play in warm water starting with a sink or tub, you just have to be with them the whole time and take them out in about 10min. then pat dry and place back into warm brooder. it will actually get them preening and get the oil gland working quicker,. always warm water and out of drafts.

They are a little over a month old, the Pekin ducklings are almost fully feathered but the ducks that I assume are Rouan are still fairly tiny! Also, I have one Pekin duck that is quite larger then the rest, I'm assuming he's the male, and it's not letting the Rouan ducks eat. He actually pecked one and beat it up! I took that specific duckling out of the cage and put it alone. The duckling that got beat up, can't walk! I've been giving it niacin for three weeks but it's not seeming to help any! Also, it's feet are partially turned in and they look drawn! I just don't know what to do! I'm panicking!

They are a little over a month old, the Pekin ducklings are almost fully feathered but the ducks that I assume are Rouan are still fairly tiny! Also, I have one Pekin duck that is quite larger then the rest, I'm assuming he's the male, and it's not letting the Rouan ducks eat. He actually pecked one and beat it up! I took that specific duckling out of the cage and put it alone. The duckling that got beat up, can't walk! I've been giving it niacin for three weeks but it's not seeming to help any! Also, it's feet are partially turned in and they look drawn! I just don't know what to do! I'm panicking!
I'd separate the Pekins form your other ducklings, they just grow so much faster and bullying should not be tolerated at this age they need to be able to eat. How big is your brooder, maybe try another food and waterer and see if that helps or separate. the duckling that is having leg and feet problems should have a friend with it they just do so much better.

I have three pekins and three Rouan's, should I put the three pekins together and the three Rouan's together in two separate cages? My brooder is made of plywood and it's approximately 4 foot long, 2.5 foot wide and 4 foot tall, but I'm not a very good carpenter so it may not be exactly that size. I have two separate feeders and two desperate waterers I thought maybe that would help but the Pekins just take over them all! They literally run to the one that the little Rouan's are eating at and flog them.. Why?? They've been together for a month! I don't understand why they suddenly don't like each other! But I'll build something for the Rouan's and separate them! I have the little injuried duck in my utility room in a big box. :( You think I should put it with the other two Rouan's when I get the cage built?

I have three pekins and three Rouan's, should I put the three pekins together and the three Rouan's together in two separate cages? My brooder is made of plywood and it's approximately 4 foot long, 2.5 foot wide and 4 foot tall, but I'm not a very good carpenter so it may not be exactly that size. I have two separate feeders and two desperate waterers I thought maybe that would help but the Pekins just take over them all! They literally run to the one that the little Rouan's are eating at and flog them.. Why?? They've been together for a month! I don't understand why they suddenly don't like each other! But I'll build something for the Rouan's and separate them! I have the little injured duck in my utility room in a big box.
sad.png
You think I should put it with the other two Rouan's when I get the cage built?
yes separate them by their breeds. you could try putting your lil duck in with the Rouens is it a Pekin or Rouen, and in the mean time give give them some swim time, especially the one with the leg and feet issues observe how it swims does it use it's legs and feet can it float okay, and keep up with the niacin and some poultry vitamins wouldn't hurt either. I can't tell you why the Pekins don't like the Rouens. but maybe after you get where they can go outside you can start integrating them again by tossing treats to them when you put them together, that will keep them occupied with eating instead of each other,.then gradually let them spend more and more time together and hopefully they will become one flock.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom