Question about my Golden laced wyandotte chicks?

chickenannie1

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 6, 2012
Central Wisconsin
I ordered 15(got 16) Golden laced wyandotte chicks from Mt. Healthy Hatchery in December. They are almost 8 weeks old now and we noticed that two of them actually have a single comb instead of a rose comb. They are all supposed to be pullets. Does this mean anything? These were the first chicks we ever ordered from a hatchery. We also go a silver laced wyandotte instead of a golden too. Is that common, that they mix up the breeds? We don't mind though she is a beautiful bird. Anybody with any info would be a great help. Thank you in advance.
yippiechickie.gif

Hatchery birds do have an incidence of single combs. Something about the rose combs being less fertile, so something single combed was bred in to boost fertility. I believe it would be a disqualification for showing, but for a backyard bird they're still very nice.

It is common for some Wyandottes to have a single comb. I think it is a mix up in the genetics somehow. I have a Golden and Silver and I love them both! Please post some pics!
tongue.png

I used to have one with a small comb it was smaller than my other golden laced one (pea comb) but was VERY friendly was my favorite chicken till it died...it used to jump on my shoulder and everything.

I've noticed that with my 10 week-old SLWs and GLWs that I received from Welp back in November. Regardless of the combs, they are still some of the prettiest chickens I've had.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom