Question about new Layer's Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by swmalone, Jul 26, 2011.

1. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    I have a chicken that has laid two eggs. I believe it is my buff orpington. Today I found the egg and it was wet on the outside with what appeared to a watered down yolk like substance. I wiped it off before I thought to take a picture. I was just hoping nothing is wrong with one of my birds. They all seem to be pretty active still and I would prefer not to go playing around with their vents if I don't have too.

Any ideas or thoughts?

2. Silkie<3

Silkie<3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Valley View
    I wouldn't worry about it my chickens eggs are wet when we collect them. :]

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I wouldn't be too worried - new egg layers can lay some unusual eggs at first, like egg shells that are not fully formed. You don't need to go poking around her vent, just keep an eye one her and she will get into a more normal egg laying routine soon hopefully.

4. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Thanks, this is just my second chicken to start laying. I have had a black sex link laying for a couple of weeks now. She started out with an odd soft shelled, two eggs connected thing then got into a pretty good pattern, but hers were never wet like that. This new layer laid a torpedo looking thing yesterday then a regular looking egg today just wet on the outside. I will keep an eye on them, what should I be looking for if something is wrong?

5. sixty7x

sixty7x Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Warwick RI
    I had a BR that layed double eggs twice when she first started. One of my RIR layed an egg with no shell. [​IMG] I still suspect one of my neighbors was messing with me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by